Wednesday, September 3, 2008

If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart

I have frequently had people comment about how full our hands are here with all these little monkeys around. Sometimes it almost comes across as an insult. Kind of like, "Hey crazy-head, didn't you get the memo on BIRTH CONTROL!" Sometimes people say it more in awe, wondering how I do it.

We have friends who just had identical twin girls the same day their older boy turned 14 months. He still barely walks! I found myself shaking my head in awe thinking, "Wow, they have their hands full!"

But then I remembered the old saying that I have used as a comeback a few times, "If you think my hands are full, you should see my heart." I realized that those friends, just like us, are busy and tired, but their house is so full of love and happiness with all those babies. It makes it all worth it, it really does!

My little monkeys make me so happy, they are what makes my crazy life worth living. It's 10:13 am. Already this morning I got to be the first person Isaac and Dawson yelled for when they woke up. I had the pleasure of walking into Henry's room, only to find he is wide awake and quietly playing in his crib like he does 90% of the time when he wakes up. (I wonder how long he does that, he is so quiet I never know what time he wakes up) I got to see their faces light up when I made them french toast, and when I let them have a drink of my special juice- a simple breakfast that they think is a great delicacy. I watched Dawson try to take all of Isaac's clothes in hopes that he could keep him home from school with him. And I saw Isaac pick the strangest outfits I could imagine before I intervened, which really made me laugh. Then I had the pleasure of watching that smug look on Isaac's face as he walked out the door to school, without his "baby" brothers who aren't nearly as old and cool as him. In fact, yesterday Isaac referred to himself as a "grownup." Already today I have told Henry 3 times how fun he is, and shook my head at how ridiculously easy and happy he is. That kid amazes me.

By 10:13 am, I have probably laughed as much as an average person might in a whole day. These kids are so funny, and so much fun, I am so grateful to be their Mom.

It's now 10:31 and Henry just went down for a nap. It's just me and Daws, and I'm going to try to convince him to take off his Lightning McQueen pajama top for the first time in 48 hours (The first time he takes it off, definitely not the first time I've tried to convince him:)

This life is crazy, but I've chosen it, and it sure is full of love. I get lots of hugs and kisses and tons of snuggles every day. And I know it won't be long before all that will be way too embarrassing, and I'll be an old mom who doesn't understand teenagers. So I'm enjoying it while I can. I can't wait to throw another little monkey into the mix, it will be way fun to see four of them together. And the sooner this baby comes, the sooner I can feel good again. Uggh, the pregnancy part of parenting is definitely the hardest for me.

ps another thing people frequently say to me is, "Oh I hope it's a girl!" Which makes me very flustered because I think we're having another boy, and I feel bad for him that everyone wants him to be a girl. So keep that comment to yourself please, even though I know it comes with good intentions.

7 comments:

Trisha said...

That made me smile, and realize that I should be having more fun! Thanks for reminding me of that.
You do a great job, full hand and all. And it's because your heart is full.

Lo said...

I love you so much Erica! I'm happy to see another post on your blog (: And don't worry Baby Low, there is no pressure. You can be a boy or a girl and you'll still be my favorite '09 baby!

Ann said...

Welcome to another precious monkey--and you know we LOVE boys (and girls.)

Grammy and Grandpa

brookiebaby said...

I'm glad to hear you say that they are worth it...I'm kinda starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into already!!! :) I don't blame you for being bugged about people's comments sometimes. I think that no matter where you come from in your life you'll get them. I was a "selfish person" for "waiting" so long to have a kid. People are going to put in their two cents if what you do is not exactly their road in life. Oh well! :) Congrats again!

Bethany said...

Congratulations! Pregnancy is definitely the hardest part for me as well, only 200 something days to go right? Hang in there! I just hope you have a healthy, happy baby. Boy or Girl! Thanks for reminding those of us who focus on our full hands that we need to remember our overflowing hearts. Much Love.

Mame & Don Kammann said...

Congratulations! You are defintely super mom in our book. We look forward to the new Low baby. Hope it doesn't mean you will never come for a visit!!!
Love, Aunt Mame & Uncle Don

Gilpatric Family said...

Congratulations Erica & Dave!! Either sex is good, but girls are more fun to dress!!
Hope your pregnancy is a good one.
Aunt June and the rest...
Remember... Maine is a lovely vacation destination!