Thursday, November 1, 2007

Do they come any cuter than this?



Really, I know every mother thinks this, but I think this baby is SO beautiful. I could just gaze at him all day, except I can hardly keep my lips off him. I have always dreamed of a brown haired boy, not that I don't love my little toe-head Daws, but I really wanted brown hair. Henry certainly doesn't have a ton of hair, and it isn't super dark, but it is brown, and it is visible. I couldn't be happier. He also has a perfectly round little head. My other boys had traumatized heads from birth, so I don't know how Henry got so lucky. We are having so much fun with him, I just love having a newborn in the house. The boys love it too, they wish they could spend more time holding "bubba" (Dawson still can't say baby correctly) and they surprisingly haven't shown any sibling rivalry. At this point, the transition to 3 kids seems really easy for us. We actually took the whole family to the Aggie game last night. I think the real struggle will be me trying to take all 3 of them out ALONE! I may not go anywhere for awhile.

Henry has been SO easy. I was telling Dave last night that it can only get worse from here, because there is no way a kid could be easier than this.

I think he hasn't quite figured out that he isn't in the womb anymore. He thinks he is still gestating, where eating and breathing shouldn't burden him He really, truly has less than 2 minutes of awake time a day. I'm not exaggerating. We see those eyes open up for a minute before he eats, and that is all. And after he eats, I put him back on the bili-lights until it's time to eat again (I have to wake him up for EVERY feeding). I remember sitting and rocking the bassinette (with the lights on it) with the other boys until they fell asleep, but Henry is always asleep, so I just lay him down and walk away. The other night I assumed he would wake me up to feed him, but he ended up sleeping 7 hours straight until I woke him to eat. Now I am very careful to wake him up more frequently in the night, and not wait for him. (I wish I could just let him sleep through the night, but he has to eat to get rid of the jaundice)

Henry's biggest problem is he is too lazy to breathe sometimes. While he is eating, he'll forget to breathe, and he turns purple. He doesn't care to cough it up, he just sits there and lets the color drain from his face while I frantically turn him, pat him, and pinch his feet. It takes a few minutes for the color to come back in his face and for him to fully start breathing again, and by then he's too tired to eat anymore. It's quite an ordeal to wake him again to finish eating, so I'm hoping the breathing thing will start to come more naturally soon.

Yesterday was our last blood draw and weight check for Henry, we've been doing them daily. He's back up to 6 lbs 4 oz, which was his discharge weight, so he's doing well. His bilirubin dropped a point yesterday, so we only have 3 more days on the lights. The dr. says that neurologically he is very healthy, he is strong, we just need to keep him eating, pooping, and breathing and he'll be fine.

We are so happy with our 3 little boys. Each one of them bring us so much joy. We really are blessed!

7 comments:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

He is just so precious! I'm sorry you have to go through the whole bili lights process with Henry, it's so hard. Luckly for us Britton was only under them for about 30 hours, and that was enough for me, but we didn't have the option to do it at home, he had to be admitted to PCMC to have them done.
Again, congratulations, he is just too cute!

JCooper said...

Erica - He is just SO BEAUTIFUL! Gosh, you forget how tiny and helpless they are when they're first born. He is such a little angel. I hope you and your family are enjoying this happy time!

Anonymous said...

Erica- great job and congratulations, Henry is sooo cute.

Mame & Don Kammann said...

Henry George is absolutely beautiful. He looks a little like both of the boys. Get lots of rest now before he realizes he's in the real world. Give him lots of kisses for us.

Tiff Rudd said...

Congrats again! He is such a cutie! I'm glad he is such a good little guy too! I'm not surprised the transition has been easy for you - you are such a great mom! Enjoy! Tiff

Unknown said...

Erica he is so cute, I want to hold him so bad! I love his little pants and matching hat he looks like a babe!

Anonymous said...

Yay! So happy that Henry is here and healthy. He is beautiful, can't wait to meet him...hopefully it won't be too long!! Congrats and enjoy every minute!