Saturday, November 17, 2007

On having three

In my infinite wisdom on having three children (since it has been three weeks you know), this is what I have learned.

With our first child he was "Babywise", he was an angel, sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old. We were good parents, we knew how to raise a child to sleep through the night, put himself to sleep, and be happy and smile at everyone.

Our second child was colicky. He is what my Mom calls a "Highly Sensitive Person." He didn't sleep through the night...... EVER! He still doesn't a lot of times. There were lots of reasons why he was like that: we spoiled him, he was early and therefor had an immature digestive tract causing colic and reflux, etc. We weren't good parents, and we knew it. But we loved our little colicky, grumpy, Dawson, and conceived again for some crazy reason.

With our third child we consider ourselves DANG LUCKY! We now understand that with all the excuses out there for why children act one way or the other, the bottom line is: They come with their own personalities. I honestly think that for 3 weeks I have had the perfect baby. I can't imagine how a baby could be easier, and I know it has very little to do with me. (He actually is trying to sleep through the night again, but after about 6 hours I can't sleep anymore until I feed him)

Here are some reasons why the third child hasn't been hard for us: After having 2 children, you surrender. You surrender to the fact that you children cannot have EVERYTHING, ALL THE TIME. Sometimes you have to pick one child, and address his needs before the other one. Sometimes there will be screaming, lots of it. Sometimes you'll look around at your chaotic life and laugh as you wonder how the heck you got there. After 2 children you surrender to the fact that your life is chaos, and it's really hard to notice any more chaos. So what difference does a third make? Honestly, not much. It's been an easy transition for us. Even while I write this though, I shudder to think of how I will handle 4 someday. Hopefully my chaos theory will hold true for the fourth.

Another thing that has made this transition easy for us is the fact that they are all so young they still sleep a lot. In the last 3 weeks, I can't count how many times I have had all three babies sleeping at the same time. It's great!

I've had a lot of people say that the third baby is always the easiest baby. A lot of people say that their third child is their favorite- It certainly was true for my parents ;). And I always did say that my brown haired baby would be my favorite. Besides, Henry barely even made me throw up in pregnancy. I'll try not to play favorites though, I know how hard it is for my sisters watching me be the favorite child! (Okay, okay, I'll stop now)

So those are my thoughts on having three children. If you have two and are considering a third, I highly recommend it. We love it!

6 comments:

Trisha said...

When I meet people out here they will usually say something to the effect of "oh how nice, a girl and now a boy! Then you can be DONE!" (because people I meet always comment on me being preggo for some reason...) I go easy on them and tell them that we'll have a third child for sure. They look at me like I'm a little deranged and I just smile, knowing that they have no idea that I actually want 4 or (gasp) 5 kids!!! Next time I'll just tell them that the third time's the charm.

Jocee Bergeson said...

If you have one, do you recommend two? :) That's really funny - I think one is pure chaos (b/c I like things to be not at all chaotic) so I can only imagine....WOW!

Tiff Rudd said...

I'm impressed with how easily you have adjusted. I'm not sure it will be that easy for me from 1 to 2 and it will be a while before I am ready to try 3. I'll just have to call you for lots of advice! :)

Tauna said...

Erica!
You are an Awesome mom!! You guys could have 5 or 6 and still keep it together! I've heard people say that three kids are the hardest. So I guess any after that is easy.... I wouldn't say easy I would just say mom's probably just get used to the chaos!

Anonymous said...

Fourth is better.
It just is.
:)
But I agree with brown hair being the best.
I promise I'm not biased at all!
Love you, and have fun with your babies!
Lauren

Thephee said...

What a perfect thing for me to read. I have been thinking how, or if I could manage a third child! I guess it can be done. I am sure you are an awesome mom. Congrats on your 3rd baby, they are so cute.
-Sarah Gentry