Monday, October 29, 2007

An answer to the due date question

Jocee asked if my due date was off, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who will think that. I was actually talking to my mom about it yesterday and telling her I would think that too if I didn't know better. But.... I with all 3 pregnancies have been 100% sure on my due date (of course give or take a day). Unfortunately I am obsessive when it comes to pregnancy, so here is how I know: I take 3.... yes 3 ovulation tests a day. Morning, noon, and night. Take temperatures every morning. Chart all other fertility signs. And my dates always match up with all of my ultrasounds and fundal measurements (Actually this time at 34 weeks I only measured 33 cm, but I think that's because he dropped). So for some odd reason my body is just very efficient at making babies (I always do try to find shortcuts in life :) I do however, consider myself dang lucky that these babies can breathe when they are born. They say that lung development is related to fetal stress. Fetal stress is caused by contractions, and since I have so many contractions all the time, I think it forces their lungs to develop early. How they are so big for their gestational age? I have no idea! But it sure gives us a good laugh when we see that scale!

There are also signs after birth that show their prematurity, unfortunately. Jaundice is one of them, and my babies are jaundice poster children! Also, Henry's gastro-whatever it's called sphincter isn't fully developed, in other words he has really bad reflux. Last night, every time I laid him down, stuff came up. It's probably going to make him REALLY grumpy in a few weeks, so we'll enjoy these sleepy weeks while they last. Oh, one more thing, Dawson was born almost completely white. Early babies have more vernix on them, but Dawson definitely had the most of our 3.

I'll be back on later for more pictures and stories- I'm being kicked off my computer by Buzz Lightyear.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I know better than to ask you if you are off:)
But here's a weird thing for you, my doctor, during the physical exam, thought I was measuring "more like 20 weeks" than only 17. So hmmm. It's making me feel like a crazy because I know I'm not off! Plus I had an ultrasound at 4.5 weeks that showed a sac that was measuring 4.5 weeks. BUT my fundal (spelling) measurments done by me at home and then the exam at the doc office show me further along. Somethings not quite clicking here... Anyway- Ultrasound in 1 week. Nov. 5th.

Erica said...

Trisha- you are so having twins. I can't wait to find out.