Friday, May 30, 2008

Who is the best visiting teacher?


Probably not me, but today I'm feeling like a pretty clever visiting teacher. I made these ice cream flower pots for the girls I visit teach. Here is how I made them:

I made a pan of brownies and cut out a circle to stick in the bottom of the (clean and brand new) flower pots. Then stick a straw in the brownie. I did two layers of softened ice cream with another layer of brownie in between. Cut off the straw at the level of the ice cream, and freeze. Stick a flower of your choice into the straw. Then top with smashed Oreo cookies (I used my blender to get it really fine like dirt). You can even add some gummy worms if you want (I didn't).

Before you get too impressed with me, I must admit I got this idea from another blog.

And for my family who may have no idea what visiting teaching is, in our church we are each assigned to look out for the welfare of one or two other women and their families. We are asked to make at least one visit a month to their house and share a short gospel message. Treats are just a bonus because most of us can't help ourselves every once in awhile. If anything happens to the family (surgery, childbirth, death, anything really) we organize and bring dinners to the people we visit teach. It's really a beautiful program.

6 comments:

Ashleigh said...

What a fun idea! I love it. I'll steal it for sure! Thanks!
I'd be psyched to have you as my VT!

Brooke Low said...

Erica- my ladies are going to be so impressed with me this month thanks to you! Did you drop your phone in the toilet again?

Brooke Low said...

I just remembered you are in Mexico!

Anonymous said...

How did you have time to do that? I want some. Hope you are enjoying Mexico. Did you take your kids? You better post pictures!

Kayla said...

Erica! I've been thinking of you! Remember when we stayed all night at INVU? I love it. Are you still in Logan? You have 3 kids? Crazy!!

Wanna-be-Cowgirl (aka Emily) said...

Erica - what a great blog of your family! You sure have a lot going on...and some great ideas.