Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Bear Lake Weekend

This weekend we planned on going up to the Bear Lake Cabin, but two things got in the way: weather and landscaping. We got a bunch of plants in the mail and decided to get our landscaping project done before going to Bear Lake. Sixteen hours later, (with both of us working) we finished our project. We removed the weeds, brought in dirt, covered with landscape fabric, covered with bark, and planted an entire flower bed in the front/side of our house. That's all we did. And it took forever. As much as I LOVE gardening and watching things grow, Dave and I just don't have that farming blood in us. We don't enjoy working all day outside with wheelbarrows, shovels, and rakes. Just not our thing! Hopefully the work we did will make it so we don't have to do a lot of work in the future. We are trying to create a "maintain" only yard except of course for my vegetable garden, which just so happens to have 22 tomato plants in it this year. We are just doing beans, onions, swiss chard, basil, cilantro, and a lot of tomatoes this year. Well, maybe I'll make room for a squash, we'll see.

So we finished late on Saturday night, and decided to go up to Bear Lake after we went to church. It was a short trip to Bear Lake, but it was really fun. We took the boys down to the beach and they chased after seagulls for an hour. They had so much fun. Then our friends, the Kirks, came up for the night and we played games, watched movies, stayed up until 3:00 am, and then lounged around in a tired, lazy stupor all day on Memorial Day. It was really fun.

I feel a little bit of guilt about ignoring Memorial Day. We've never had any family graves close enough to visit, so I've never really celebrated Memorial Day with my family. This year we do have graves, but I just didn't feel like driving all the way down to Bountiful to visit their graves when I knew they weren't there. The graves are there, but my sisters aren't. So I ignored it until 10:00 pm when I called my mom and got the recap of the day. It was kind of a tough day down there, and she assured me that I didn't want to be there anyway. Which made me feel guiltier, I should have been there for them. I'll try to pull myself together next year. But Aimee didn't want a grave anyway. Aimee and I always joked (long before we ever thought any of us would ever really die) that we didn't want a fancy deal when we died. We just wanted a Hefty Bag, and a nice backyard grave. So Aimee never really appreciated the whole cemetery, grave thing anyway, she won't mind if I ignore Memorial Day every one in awhile will she? I think Memorial Day is for the living, not the dead, and it doesn't do much for me. Now that I made myself look like a big jerk, I'll move on to the pictures of the cutest boys around.


Chasing the "boo-boos" which means birdies:
Always getting wetter than we want him to:

Striking a pose:
And the only boy who will sit still and look at the camera:
And isn't he cute?


p.s. Notice that dark tuft of hair on the top of his head. Ahem- my anonymous commenter! (My dad left an anonymous comment on my hair post that I didn't like, and I deleted it! I didn't find out for a few days that it was just him!)

3 comments:

Tiff Rudd said...

Definitely a dark bunch of hair! And, they are cute! Everything except the yard work sounds fun! Yuck, I hate yard work. Hey - any chance you will be in Bountiful sometime between the 3rd and 25th of June? I would love to have lunch or meet at the park or something, but I'm not sure I will make it up north.

Trisha said...

You need to post a picture of all your hard work on your yard! It does sound awful... Bear Lake sounded fun- I know what you mean about kids getting wet:)
We didn't do any grave visiting either- we actually went to the mall all day! And I'll keep my fingers crossed for DARK hair.

Jocee Bergeson said...

Henry's getting BIG! He's starting to get his own look but he does look like both of your boys to me. More like Isaac I'd say, and yes, definitely quite a bit like you. He darling (but you already know that, right)!