Monday, May 12, 2008

Happy Mother's Day to me! (And my Mom!)

We have had a whirlwind life lately with Natalie's wedding and all that went along with it. Every single day had a big event that I had to be prepared for in some way. By the time I realized it was Mother's Day this weekend, I was too tired to even think about gifts for our moms. ....... Then I started to develop a little bit of attitude (As I occasionally do) and realized that this was MY Mother's Day. Why should I do anything that causes me stress on MY Mother's Day? For a lot of years we have celebrated Mother's Day for our mothers, and this was my turn. So we each called our mothers to wish them a happy Mother's Day, and I kicked up my feet and enjoyed MY Mother's Day.

Dave said the funniest thing. He told me he would put Dawson to bed if I put Henry to bed. I told him I had put Henry to bed every night since he was born. He said this, "And it's things like that, that earn you this day once a year!" We both laughed really hard as it sounded really silly to work your tail off at a 24 hour a day, on call, unpaid job just for one day of the year that you have a little less responsibility. It's a good thing these kids make us so DANG happy, because they sure are a lot of work.

Dave allowed me to take a nice long Sunday nap, and kept his mouth shut as I didn't clean up almost all day. Instead, I spent the afternoon playing with my boys outside while Dave tended Henry. We had so much fun playing, jumping on the tramp, doing "cool tricks" (I showed off my backhandspring to Isaac who thought it was pretty cool), playing our made up game of "Get in here, Get outta here" which brings constant giggles from my boys that I could just eat right up, and swinging on our back porch swing playing "I Spy." So, I spent MY Mother's Day truly enjoying my motherhood, and it was great.
Here is my annual Mother's Day bouquet which the boys picked for me. Slim pickens this year since we had such a long, hard, winter. But lovely, nonetheless.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I was hoping to see a picture of your second annual Mother's Day bouquet--perfectly beautiful! Love you-- Mom

Tiff Rudd said...

I agree! I'm glad you had a good Mother's Day - you deserve it! And, I love the bouquet! What a great tradition.