Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"I peed on Buzz Lightyear."

I didn't hear that phrase yesterday. Peer pressure has led me to the desire to have Dawson potty-trained. He's been able to go potty for awhile now, since he tried to potty-train himself back when I was pregnant. His little friend Luke who was born a week after him got potty-trained very easily 2 weeks ago. (He only had 2 accidents) So that gave me some hope. I went out and bought the 10-pack of Disney underpants. Dawson was thrilled!

Then right before I was ready to start, my friend Hilary posted about her week long potty-training extravaganza with her daughter and how it took somewhere around 80 accidents. Strangely this was encouraging for me, as I really have no tolerance for accidents. If she could handle it, I would find it in myself to handle it too.

So I guess this was about a week ago. I finally decided to put the underpants on him, but there were always events that pulled us out of the house and made me not want to put underpants on him. And of course, I didn't want to actually have to DO anything, I just wanted him to be magically potty-trained.

Every day I have put underpants on him until I got sick of hearing the phrase "I pee-pee on Nemo mommy." Replace Nemo with any other disney character he happened to pee on. He went potty when I asked him to sometimes, but other times he told me he already went. I think he was wishing it was a once a day kind of thing, so if he checked it off his list once he had already gone and taken care of that thank you very much! If I threw the peer pressure at him, he almost always went potty. "If you want to go to school next year with Cara, you have to go potty. You can't wear diapers at school."

We went through a few pairs of underwear a day until I gave up and put a diaper on him. Luckily there were no pooping accidents. I DON'T want to deal with those. If he starts having those, I'm putting diapers on him until he's 12. But yesterday, he wore the Incredibles underpants the WHOLE DAY! He never peed on them. And he started just going potty on his own. At the end of the day I rewarded him with a treat for one successful day of pottying by himself. Hopefully that's enough incentive for him to do it again today... and tomorrow.

When he finally is potty-trained I will be saving $13.99 a month on diapers. Maybe I'll take that and go to lunch. Oh wait... I have a new one in diapers. I guess it can just go to paying for G. Jesse's diapers. I'm okay with that. :)

So I didn't name this post "Potty trained!" for a reason. I still don't trust the kid. But I do have hope that I won't have to hear, "I peed on Buzz Lightyear." forever. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I'm glad someone was inspired by my story because I sure wasn't. :) Yeah for Dawson!