Monday, April 27, 2009

Changes

So you want the truth? Dave and I were both bedwetters. There, it's out there now! I fully expected that with a genetic disaster like that we would have our kids in diapers at night until they were 18 or so. But instead, Mother Nature took pity on us, and both our boys are night trained.

4 out of 5 nights Dawson has woken up dry. I guess I really can't declare him night trained from that, but I think it means he is capable. Last night I just left him in underpants because I felt pretty sure that if I didn't give him a big drink before bed he would wake up dry. He gets a cookie if he wakes up dry, and he really likes that!

As far as the potty training goes, he is doing great. He did drop his pants at a soccer game last week, but hopefully that doesn't happen again. It was funny, he walked quite a distance away from me and the crowd, but was still very visable! I ran to him as fast as I could and told him you don't pee on grass. He looked up at me with big blue eyes and said, "Pee on the dirt?" No, not on the dirt! In the potty! *Sigh*

So we have lots of changes going on at our house. First of course was the potty training. Which is honestly my least favorite part of being a parent. One of the big reasons he started sleeping dry all of a sudden is that we took away the bottles. That was the second big change. Henry and Dawson both got a cool new sippy cup and all the bottles got shelved. It was a perfectly smooth transition, quite amazing. The next big change is up and coming. As soon as I get a new bed rail, Dawson will be joining Isaac in the bunk bed. And Henry will be moving into the crib in the boys room to free up the nursery for G. Jesse.

If the next big change is as easy as the first two, we will be VERY lucky. I'm not counting on it though. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

Kurst said...

Good luck with all the changes. I have to start potty training Mya pretty soon hear and I'm dreading it. Is it any easier with the second?

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

good luck with those changes! We've started potty training B & I swear it's never going to click. Switching him to the bed actually was an easy transition for us - hopefully it is for you guys too!

We got G's announcement last week - you guys sure make some cute babies! congrats again!

Emily + Eric said...

I'm in the bed wetting club myself. Let me re-phrase that - I WAS in the club. Unfortunately, mother nature has not taken pity on me, and my 6 and 4 year old kids are in pull-ups. Help.