Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Providence 150th birthday

My awesome husband organized and dreamed up this incredible celebration for our city. He spent SO many hours working on this, and it turned out to be just awesome! I am sad that I didn't go, I just didn't think I could keep my kids under control alone, but I know just what happened there after hearing him talk on the phone to a million people planning it. I am so proud of you Dave for putting on such a fantastic production!

Here is the newspaper article, and yes he is the good lookin guy at the microphone
http://hjnews.townnews.com/articles/2009/04/21/news/news02-04-21-09.txt

Providence toasts 150

People watch a presentation on the history of Providence at its 150th anniversary celebration in the Old Rock Church in Providence Monday. (Alan Murray/Herald Journal)
By Kim Burgess
Published:
Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:58 AM CDT
Old Rock Church fills with residents, stories of beloved community

PROVIDENCE — Over the past 150 years, this small community has gone through many changes, but one thing remains the same: Providence residents love of their town.

That pride was clear on Monday when several hundred people gathered at the Old Rock Church to celebrate Providence’s birthday with cookies, music and reminiscences.

“I fell in love with this place,” said City Councilman John Russell. “Somehow we are blessed enough to live here.”


While Russell is a relative newcomers to the area, other speakers at the event have roots that go all the way back to the community’s founding on April 20, 1859.

Elizabeth Campbell Brown’s grandparents, Joseph Campbell and Elizabeth Mathews, were among Providence’s first residents. The couple married in 1861, uniting two pioneer families.

Brown said that every day, she appreciates her ancestors’ struggles and sacrifices.

“My grandmother, Elizabeth, was 11 years old when she walked across the Plains,” Brown added.

Over the generations, Brown’s family has married into other prominent local clans like the Zollingers, connecting her to enough of the town that she joked, “Don’t talk about anyone in Providence because I might be related to them.

Businessman Stan Checketts, the Emcee for the celebration, is another lifelong resident who remembers “the good old days.” He told stories of dancing at a pavilion that was torn down long ago and making sauerkraut by stomping on the cabbages.

“Eventually they gave us wooden paddles because they said it was unsanitary,” he explained. “It ruined the flavor.”

City Council member David Low said that connecting with this past in this way was a major reason that he put on the sesquicentennial celebration.

“There was a sparkle in everyone’s eyes (in the audience),” he added. “It was great.”

2 comments:

Seriously... said...

I didn't realize you guys lived in Providence. My brother and his family live there. It's a great little town.

Seriously... said...

brother is Karl Nieman. probably a slim chance that you would know him. Anyway....4 boys is fun. We haven't tried to do much on our own yet...going to the playground is about all I can handle. Baby steps....

The boys all love their new brother, so that helps. And the little guy is still so sleepy....sometimes i forget he's here (except my body still hurts and is a constant reminder that he is indeed here...)

Anyway....good luck to you! We're trying to decide if we need a new car. I wanted to make our current car work, but everytime I load and unload the kids I think "a minivan would be really convenient right about now..."