Friday, August 3, 2007

Electrical Fires and Power Outages

On Wednesday night at 5:00 p.m. the power went out. This seemed kind of strange since it is the middle of the summer, but we patiently waited for it to come back on. After about half an hour, it started to feel warm in the house, and I started getting really bored. So I walked outside and this is what I saw

Well, it turns out that everyone else was hot and bored inside their houses, so our neighborhood ended up getting together on our front lawn. We all brought our ice cream that was going to melt, and we ate ice cream and popsicles. Here is a picture of the party (After most of the people had left.)
As we listened to the radio, there was some kind of electrical explosion that took out a ton of power lines etc., and they didn't have any estimate for when the power would be back on. They just told us to get out our 72 hour kits, which made us think it would be a long time. But luckily, at 3:30 a.m., the power was back, and I could sleep in air conditioning again! The other good news was that it didn't get to any houses, and there were no injuries.

Our neighbor is the Fire Chief, and it was fun listening to his updates on the radio. We also enjoyed watching the planes circling. Here is a great pic of Isaac and Caleb watching the excitement.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Too bad I missed the biggest story of the summer in Logan!
Glad you put that ice cream to use though, THAT would have been a real shame!

Jocee Bergeson said...

Your story make me motivated to build up my supply of food storage!! That is crazy... maybe you can fill me in on what you do for food storage since I'm sure you're a pro full of ideas!