Thursday, August 30, 2007

Let the campaigning begin

Ahh, a new post. Even better, a new tab on my browser that covered up the other two tabs- my bank account and my credit card statement. I was comparing the two... ugh. I mean who ever compares their bank account and credit card statement and says, "WOW! We made thousands more than we spent this month. Honey, lets buy new couches!" The next time that happens to you, feel free to contribute to the Low Family. ;)

Anyway, this post is about Dave. I think (I don't dare declare it yet) he is really going to run for city council. Last night was the "Meet the Candidates" night, and he said if it went well he would still run. I thought it went just fine, so I think he's moving forward. His hesitancy comes from 2 things- 1. He can't stomach people being mad at him. 2. He's worried it will take up too much time.

As far as time, I think it will be work he will enjoy enough that it won't be an issue. He has also decided to stop teaching his BYU class if he gets elected, which I would LOVE! So I think it would be fine.

There is a big divide in Providence as there is in so many towns. We have the pro-development folks and the anti-development folks. Since there are so many new homes in this town, there is a large group of people who would be hypocrites if they didn't support development. There are also a lot of parents who would be thrilled or are thrilled to have their children build in Providence. But there are many older people who have lived in their homes in Providence for a long time, and do not want to be "downstream" as they called it, from hundreds of new homes. They will do anything and everything to halt development, and they have a lot of anger. Dave has already had some people who could have heard nothing about his campaign (since there was no campaign), who are accusing him of what side he's on based on the fact that he lives in a new home. This is where Dave gets sick. He hates the controversy.

There are 11 candidates running for 3 spots. I think 9 of those 11 are good candidates, they seemed very intelligent and were decent at introducing themselves. Unfortunately the 2 that I think would be disastrous for the council are the "radicals" 2 favorites. And one of them I don't understand why. She isn't a good speaker, she struggled to introduce herself. I also know her from the ice skating world, and she causes more drama than you could imagine. A very immature woman. But the radicals love her. Go figure.

Dave is the son of one of the most respected judges in the state of Utah. I think being raised by Gordon has helped Dave to be very level-headed. I really believe that Dave isn't on a "side." I think he is very good at making decisions, and would be excellent in politics. However, he isn't a politician. If he gets elected, it won't be from the people who really are into politics, it will be because he is very well known, loved, and trusted in the community.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I think either way, he will feel good about the outcome. He will be honored and excited if he makes it, and he will be relieved if he doesn't. I think he will do a great job if he does make it.

Here is a pic of Dave's sign. Josh designed it for him, and I think it turns a lot of heads since it is so different.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know that Dave was considering running. I think he'd do a great job. Now how do I go about getting registered to vote in Providence.... :)

Trisha said...

The sign looks classy. Nice job Josh:)
I think Dave would have more fun, or enjoy the job more than he thinks.
I hope he wins!!!
I wish I still lived there and could vote.

Unknown said...

That's really cool! Best of luck!

Jocee Bergeson said...

That's really cool...and, I love the simple, classy sign. It really is a head-turnign sign, I think. Thanks for letting us know and GOOD LUCK! Keep us updated....when will voting take place?