Monday, August 27, 2007

The fruits of my labors

Here is a sampling of my pickings from today. On the left you have an average old red tomato to compare colors with the pink lady tomatoes in the middle. They really are pink, and they are very pretty! The next tomato is my green zebra. I wondered how to know when they are ripe, they turn a little bit yellowish when they are ready. I think the Green Zebra tomatoes have a taste and consistency that can't be beat. But my yellow Kellogg Breakfast tomatoes aren't ripe yet, so we'll see how they compare to the green ones. Definitely next year I will plant more Green Zebra plants, and less red tomatoes. I also think they will make a beautiful green spaghetti sauce. And of course on the right side we have the purple beans. Remember, they turn green as soon as you cook them. And they taste just like regular green beans.

I will NOT be posting a picture of my garden as I already mentioned that it is overgrown. But as unattractive and difficult to maneuver as it is, it has produced really well. We have probably already harvested 2 bushels of tomatoes, and probably 15-20 pounds of beans. Not to mention the crookneck squash that I am getting really sick of! I don't know what I was thinking planting that much squash. Next year I am going to have to find a sturdier tomato cage, and I'll plan a little bit more room for my tomatoes since they are growing so well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! I am impressed I wouldn't even know where to start.

Anonymous said...

Your produce looks great. I can't wait until next summer to try all of your different tomatoes. (Of course, I might just try a bite now! :)

Jocee Bergeson said...

Way cool. If I start a garden, I know who to ask for advice. Other than the regular old red tomatoe, those are all brand new veggies to me!

Trisha said...

I admit I am jelous. I so very, very much want "garden" tomatoes right now!
Also, I am excited to see how the yellow ones turn out and what you think of their flavor! Let us know!