Sunday, July 29, 2007

Flaming Gorge

Okay, so Flaming Gorge was a few trips ago, but I've barely even been home since then. So time to post about this wonderful trip. We took our little family with our boat, and my Dad took Lauren, Kate, and Josh with their boat. The original plan was for everyone to come, but unfortunately Aimee couldn't miss her radiation treatments, so Mom, Jess, and Aimee stayed home. We ended up camping which was fun, but tough with a 1-year old. Dawson and I ended up sleeping in the car together, and Isaac and Dave slept on the boat.

I must say for camping, we ate really well. My Mom bought a TON of good snacks, and lunch, and Dave and I planned the dinners. We brought our little Camp-Chef fire, and cooked everything on it. It was great.

Having a newly potty-trained son on this trip was interesting. He had only been trained for 3 or 4 days at this point, and we had to teach him how to: pee on the side of the road, pee off the side of the boat, and pee in the bushes. I was worried when we got home he would drop his pants anywhere and pee, but it's been okay. When we drove through the middle of no-where and he told us he had to go, we were thankful he is a boy and doesn't have the complications girls have.

The family loved boating, we did some tubing and kneeboarding. I even wakeboarded once, but I took it really easy! The highlight of the trip for all, was fishing. Flaming Gorge isn't warm water, and it isn't nearly as beautiful as Lake Powell, but it is a fisherman's heaven. Someone caught a fish every 10 minutes or so. Josh caught the first big fish of the trip, and it was really big. Then Kate caught a little fish, which we later found out was Salmon, and I ate right up! Lauren just couldn't seem to catch a fish though. It wasn't until the last day that she caught one, and she was very proud! We enjoyed laughing at her throughout her fishing experience. We used the fish-finder on my Dad's boat, and it was amazing to see the certain areas where the fish stayed. Now Dave and I really want a fish finder on our boat!

On Thursday my Dad left in the morning for a golf tournament, and left Josh alone on the boat. (Where all the food was) We woke up and made breakfast, and we couldn't get Josh to eat anything! We couldn't figure out why, but Lauren later found that Josh had eaten almost an entire package of Oreo cookies that morning, along with some chocolate chip cookies, Fruit snacks, and who knows what else. We then knew why he didn't want breakfast.

This trip was really fun, but it would have been way more fun with the rest of the family. Hopefully they'll be there next year.

Isaac with his fish- and what a great face!
Lauren pretending this is her fish- Yeah right Lo, keep pretending!
Daddy and his boy
Me and my boys (Mr. Chocolate face)
Me wakeboarding
The fishing crew, and the back of Dawson's head
Josh and his BIG fish, which unlike most big fish stories, his fish keeps getting smaller. The fam keeps correcting him telling him his fish was bigger than he remembers.
The Biada boat- with the Skipper (Lauren)- she did a great job driving this boat.

2 comments:

Jocee Bergeson said...

So fun - boating is the best. I can't imagine sleeping w/ Sage in a car - you are a major trooper! :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun post. I'm looking forward to next year's trip when we can all be there! My thanks to you and Dave though--the trip wouldn't have been possible without you and I know the kids had a great time. They deserved a break from "Cancer World".