Monday, July 16, 2007

Braggin' bout my garden

This is only my second year of gardening, but I've learned a lot over the last two years. This garden is much healthier than last year's was. I've gathered tips from everyone I meet who has a garden. I think I'll do a little bit better every year. We added a yard of compost from the dump this year, and that has helped a lot too.

Here is what I've planted this year, and an explanation if I know one:
Big Zac tomatoes
Sun Gold tomatoes- Yellow cherry tomatoes, less acidic, wins the taste test contests
Kellogg Breakfast tomatoes- yellow, medium sized, supposed to be very good
Green Zebra- green striped tomatoes, how the heck am I supposed to know when they are done?
Grape Tomatoes
Roma Tomatoes
Goliath Tomatoes
Pink Lady Tomatoes- never get red, only pink- really big
? tomatoes- labled as grape tomatoes, but are clearly something else!
Celebrity Tomatoes- average sized red tomatoes?
Green Onions- really easy to grow, and really convenient because you can leave them in all year, and even until next year. So you can pick them whenever you need them
Radishes- my second crop, very zesty!
Purple Beans- Just like Green beans only they are purple so you can see them and pick them easily. As soon as they hit the hot water they turn green. We just ate some last night and mmmmmmm!
Peas- sugar snap, sweet pea, and snow pea- they were great! Maybe we'll get some more in the fall
Green, Yellow (forgot to label it), and Red Bell Peppers
Wax Beans- yellow green beans basically. I just planted them 2 weeks ago in some extra space
Cucumber- not looking very healthy
Cantelope- we'll see how it does
Lots of Crook neck squash- I think this is the BEST squash so I planted a lot of them
Zucchini- just ate one yesterday

Not pictured/got cut off on the pic:
Cilantro- went to seed and spread like a weed
Spinach- too hot for it now
Parsley
Oregano
Rosemary
Salad greens

I also have a HUGE strawberry patch. I mostly feed them to Dawson because he LOVES them. But we had a few really big crops earlier this year with a few hundred strawberries in them.

Here are the pics of my garden labeled and unlabeled. Please click on it so you can see it bigger. I am really proud of how big my tomato plants are. Especially check out that Pink Lady Plant at the bottom. That is just ONE tomato plant but it is HUGE!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome garden! You should be very proud of it. I think we've killed our only attempt (the pumpkins).

Unknown said...

WOW! You have quite the green thumb I am impressed!

Trisha said...

I was spying on your (very awesome looking) garden last week the night before you came home. I stopped by to say hi and chatted with Dave.
I was impressed but I love your labeled picture of the garden, I'm totally wishing I had a garden right about now!