Friday, December 16, 2011

Stories

Three stories today.

1. We moved G. into Henry's room. I knew that putting him in a new crib was going to make him realize he could get out. It did. Henry and him were up playing for hours every night, so we moved Henry downstairs. That helped for awhile, but I finally succumbed to my good friend the crib tent.

All the boys came running into the room while I set it up. They were so excited. G. was NOT excited. His little face drooped, then crumpled. "OH MAN!" he said. Kinda stomping his feet he said again, "OH MAN!" It was like he knew he was toast. Luckily his brothers convinced him it was super cool, and within a few minutes he was begging to go to bed in his "house." He likes it okay now, and he's sleeping MUCH more, phew!

2. A week before my water broke with Walker I went to ward temple night. I had just come from L&D getting my steroid shots and they made me super hot. I spent the majority of the session fanning myself with a tiny pink piece of paper. I really considered leaving because I couldn't survive one more minute. It was an excruciatingly hard hour for me. Part of the way through I realized that the girl next to me was pregnant too, and she was pretty hot as well. We ended up chatting a little (as much as you can in these circumstances) and I learned that she had preterm labor as well.

I just went up to the NICU to bring some thank yous and I ran into this girl. I couldn't figure out who she was, but she remembered and told me how I knew her. Her baby came at 33 weeks, and had spent 2 weeks in the NICU. He was going home, but on oxygen. She only got one shot in before he was born, so his lungs weren't strong like Walkers.

For some reason I felt like this meeting was serendipitous. I'm not sure why.

3. I title this story "The poor little rich boys"
For the last year, our family computer hasn't worked. It freezes constantly, and the kind of freeze where you have to hold the power button for 10 seconds and then turn it back on. I haven't used it at all, but the kids have. I have never heard them complain about it, even though it turns off in the middle of their games, etc. They have been so sweet about it.

I threw the computer out a few weeks ago, and I told Dave we had to replace it immediately. But we didn't. And they haven't ever complained about not having a computer. It kinda tears me up to think how sweet they have been to not have a computer and not complain. They have never asked to use mine either. And then I remember that it's pathetic of me to feel sorry for kids not having a computer. How spoiled are we? Will you all hold a telethon for us to raise money for these poor little rich boys? (That is a joke I learned from our bishop). But nonetheless, I am proud of the way they have handled it.

We talked about it last night and Isaac said, "When we get a new computer, I hope it has our family videos." I was floored that was his only request. We talked about how much computers cost and they were shocked. They understood we would have to save up for it. They were ok with that.

I have a new imac sitting in a box under my tree right now......

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Your poor little rich boys are sweet nonetheless.

I'm sorry you were so miserable in that session. It was CRAZY hot even for the non-preggers in the crowd, so I can hardly imagine how you were feeling.
I'm sure the person for whom you were doing the work is thankful for your finishing the session! Heavenly extra credit!