Thursday, January 8, 2009

Dr. Dave

Last night Dave did his first shot on me. It was like something out of Dumb and Dumber. First of all, I had the nurse teach me how to prep the shot. So as I was getting the shot ready, I took the cap off the needle. And it was hard for me to get the cap off, so when I finally pulled it off I stabbed my finger! I don't even know how that happened. Then I saw the size of the needle. I didn't see it last time, but when I saw how thick it was I thought I might die! This is a picture of the same size needle as mine, and no... that's not a micro mini syringe, it's a regular sized syringe with a big fat needle. Dave even said, "That's not a needle!"
Then Dave got nervous about the whole thing and pretty much forgot everything he was taught. At one point he even asked me if he should suck the syringe back out before he took it out of me. NO! We bantered back and forth and were really close to just quitting and visiting the nurse tomorrow. Finally, I leaned over and bit on my hand and told him to just do it. I was leaning over for a long time, and at last I looked up and he told me it was done. I honestly didn't even feel it. It hurt quite badly when the nurse did it, but it was painless when Dave did it! I couldn't even believe it.

So my husband is an excellent shot giver! What a man! Here's to at least 3 more pain free shots... (BTW I researched it and found out that if you get the shot before you go to bed, most of the pain of the shot absorbing is gone by the morning. It worked pretty well, this is much better than last time.)

3 comments:

Roxie said...

oh man I hate needles..shots anything that has to do with sharp objects ...really...Im glad you survived without much pain.

brookiebaby said...

UHHHHHH! What we do to stay prego! :) Are these shots similar to the steroid shot? or similar to Niphedipene? (i change the spelling each time!) The steroid shots stung like crazy, but atleast I only had to have two. But if it makes you feel any better, I used to have bi-monthly shots for my fibro myalgia, and I kinda got used to them. (I NEVER loved them, but got used to them) so maybe you will too! :) Especially with Dr. Dave!!!

Erica said...

Oh Brooke, I am so scared for the steroid shot! I have heard they are just horrible! This shot doesn't seem to have any side effects, it is just really thick so it leaves a sore muscle as it tries to absorb the thick sesame oil that they put that progesterone in. Hopefully Dave and I will be more comfortable with it next time. But it didn't hurt as bad this time.