Friday, January 2, 2009

17- Alpha Hydroxyprogesterone... Friend or foe?

I have so much blogging to do, and I am so very lazy!

The latest on me however, (ME, ME, ME) is I have been upgraded from bedrest to limited activity. Which is a great thing! The whole week of Christmas was kind of a mess, I was having contractions just from readjusting my position on the couch. I did end up with a trip to Labor and Delivery, much to my dismay, only because the dr.'s offices were closed though. It was my first L&D trip where I left without a baby, but it was kind of nice that way. Especially since I REALLY don't want a baby right now.

At my L&D trip they did a test called Fetal Fibronection which tests and enzyme and quite accurately predicts tells you if you will not deliver in the next 2 weeks. Mine came back negative and I felt like I had just won the lottery! And really, the medical bills of a 25 week baby are probably equal to a decent lottery win! They also checked my cervix which was only a fingertip dilated, so I was thrilled!

I haven't taken Nifedipine (That terrible contraction stopping drug of which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love that it stops contractions, and hate pretty much everything else about it!) since Christmas Day.

And lastly I started on my 17-Alpha Hydroxyprogesterone shots weekly which are given intramuscularly in the hip. Now doesn't that sound fun? The jury is still out on this one, it is proven to help with preterm labor 40% of the time, and I'm just not sure I'm in that lucky 40% yet. I think I may have a few less contractions, but some of them feel stronger than before. It's hard to know what is real to me and what is just the 'ole placebo effect! At least my bottom and leg were only sore for a little over a day. And the nurse taught Dave how to do it, so that will be interesting won't it? What a guy for being willing though!

So I am doing a lot better, but I would be willing to donate these contractions I'm having now to someone who is like 39/40 weeks and would really like them. If you're interested let me know, because I really don't need them now! (If only!:)

And if you look at my pregnancy ticker, I made it to 26 weeks! The baby gets bigger and healthier from here, so I'm crossing my legs as long as possible.... or until 37 weeks anyway ;)

Here is a picture of my shot supplies. I feel so proud to have my own syringe disposal! Now these shots better be worth it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope that baby stays in you a lot longer than he wants!

attack of The Mouse said...

Here I sit at over 40weeks and no contractions, I'm wondering what is wrong with my body. I think you and I need to give each other some hormones so you can keep that baby in longer and mine can come out on it's own. (I'm getting induced tomorrow - so I'm going to be fine.) Hang in there.