Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Potty Training Himself

Dawson has been taking his diaper off for months now. It drives me crazy! He refuses to sit in a wet or poopy diaper and so without asking me, he takes it off. I've felt like I should potty train him, but I feel like he's too young. I've had a lot of great advice to wait until 3 to potty train boys, and my friends who have trained their kids early have all had a ton of accidents lingering way past training. I have very little tolerance, and accidents almost do me in! So I've been hoping to wait until closer to when the baby comes

But Dawson seems to be training himself now. The past couple of days when he wouldn't keep a diaper on, I let him wear underpants. He hasn't had an accident yet. Yesterday he was completely dry all day! Wow! But he didn't poop all day, I'm worried he's going to get constipated because he is holding it in.

I know we're not free and clear from diapers yet, but he seems to be getting himself off to a great start. Oh yeah, one more problem with it, he stands on the toilet seat and squats to pee. It's the funniest thing ever, it's just like what his cousin Matthew used to do too. The problem with it is you have to take your pants/underpants all the way off to do it, and at age 2 he can't put them back on. Oh well, I should be grateful for this, because I have proven myself incapable of potty-training in the past with Isaac. So far Dave potty-trained Isaac and Dawson is potty-training himself. I feel like I should be able to kick up my feet and drink a pina colada, but somehow I still don't have time for that?

Dawson has transformed from his monstrous self, to the sweetest little boy. He is still stressed out when situations change, but other than that he is very easy, and has a VERY sweet personality. He talks in the sweetest voice, says please all the time, prays by himself (always praying first for Isaac), gets really excited about things with the world's cutest smile (When he was born he was so grumpy he never really smiled, but he sometimes did in his sleep and I could see then what an incredibly cute smile he had. I love it!), and covers his eyes when you get mad at him because he really doesn't want to make anyone mad. It's amazing how far he comes, and it's a good thing because I have a feeling that this baby is going to be just like him, and I already declared that this family could only handle one Dawson. So maybe we'll survive since Dawson has become so sweet.

Here he is covering his eyes. His hands go straight up to his face as soon as he senses you're mad.


And here is that happy, smiling boy, I love how he scrunches up his eyes when he smiles. Isn't he cute?

3 comments:

Trisha said...

I just can't get over how BLOND he is. It always surprises me when I see his picture. So good luck with potty training! We had accidents for a few weeks when we decided to finally hit the pt-ing hard, but it's been so awesome since. And pretty soon he'll be able to get his pants back on by himself. Naomi likes to take hers all the way off when she's on the potty:)

Kurst said...

That's awesome that he's pretty much training himself. I wouldn't worry about being too young, I trained Alex at 2 and 5 months and he did great he hardly had any accidents, some kids are just ready early. Good Luck.

Tiff Rudd said...

I dream of one day writing a post on my blog with this as a heading! Way to go Dawson!