Sunday, October 5, 2008

General Conference Weekend

I always love conference weekend. It is so inspirational, and so fun to be together as a family. I love our new Prophet, President Monson, and I loved all the messages that I heard (with one more session to go!) We kept our tradition of eating Ritz crackers with Easy Cheese and Guava Juice when he spoke. The kids love it, and I do too.

Yesterday, in between sessions, we went and picked out our pumpkins. Dawson wanted to take them all home. "Bah one! Bah one."




I've always been a Halloween humbug. But my kids are really excited about it this year, so I decided to decorate a little bit more. We're going to try to have some Halloween craft days so we can make some more decorations. But our spider web and spider were the first. It was made with random stuff that we had, the spider web is torn and tied fabric, and the spider was made out of landscape fabric and a paper plate. I never knew my sewing machine could sew through paper plates before. It's a very small start for Halloween decorations, but the kids love it.


Our conference tradition (What President Monson serves when his kids come over). We ate it while the Prophet spoke. YUM!


And the boys gathered around the laptop typing up their Christmas lists. Dawson wants a flashlight. Isaac wants like 10 big things, which really means 10 x 2 because Dawson will want them too (He just doesn't know it yet.) Any advice on how to choose what to get him? He is too sharp to just forget about the other things he asked for, he'll have a mental list of what things he did and didn't get. What do I do? I'm already embarrassed if we happen to see Santa this year. Two years ago he sat on his lap and just asked for a train. This year he'll sit on Santa's lap and ask for a Storm Trooper helmet ($29.99), a Storm Trooper Gun($19.99), an R2D2, legos(I'm not ready for tiny legos that hurt when you step on them and show up all over the house!), swords, and the list goes on. I can just picture Santa's eyes getting big, thinking, "Man this kid is a spoiled brat!" This will be interesting!


Lastly, we went to Macey's in between sessions yesterday, and it was a mob-scene! I bet they make so much money this weekend! Anyway, I walked past my neighbor who took one look at me and asked if I was pregnant again. I guess I'm big enough now that there is no more mistaking it. Wow, that happened fast!

1 comment:

Pierce Fam said...

Erica, I love your blog! You have such a beautiful family, one that we love to watch, seeing that you remind us so much of our little fam when the boys were little!

Our boys too, have always had a tendancy to have expensive wish lists which have led us to Christmas's that have been a bit overboard! About 7 years ago we started a three gift tradition with the boys that continues to today. In tradition with the three wise men the kids get three gifts from us:

1. Something Useful: usually something they need. Socks, undies, ties, colored pencils, etc.

2. Something Fun: this is a gift chosen from their wish list. YEAH!

3. Something Meaningful: this is a gift that we usually give as an outing/trip to make a memory as a family. A "group" gift, but can, of course, be something individually meaningful as well.

Santa brings books, games, and movies, and of course lots of candy!

As much as we love to indulge the kiddo's at Christmas, our Christmas's have been much more meaningful and managable since we started the three gift tradition:)We have found the kids appreciate the thought that goes into their gifts, and the excitement of the 1 gift that was chosen from their lists is wonderful!

One more thing...we also have the kids set out one of their toys for Santa to give to a child in need. This is a wonderful reminder to them the joy that comes when we give, especially on the eve of receiving.

Sorry to ramble on so!
Sadie Pierce