Sunday, May 22, 2011

Oh sweet baby! Scary night.

We have a nasty virus at our house and I am just praying it doesn't hit me because I know it will be SO bad if I get it. It attacks the lungs, and my lungs are wimpy to begin with.

I took Dawson to the doctor and confirmed that it wasn't anything dangerous, and over the course of 4 days it showed up in the other 3 kids. Including my baby!!!!!!

My sweet little G. baby has the nastiest barking cough, and I've been so worried about him. Last night I heard him barking for awhile, and then I heard silence for longer than seemed normal. I was SOOO tired and didn't want to get out of bed to check on him, but as a mother I can rarely turn off that need to check on my kids. So after pushing it off as long as I could I went in there to check on him.

Now let me say that every time I've ever opened the door to check on him he always stirs. I know without walking into the room that he's okay.

Last night I walked into his room and put my hand on his back to see if he was breathing. He didn't move. I couldn't feel him breathing at all. I shook him....nothing. I shook him harder, rocking his body back and forth....nothing. I grabbed his little arm and flopped his body over, and not gently at all...... nothing, not a stir. I scooped him up to go run into my bedroom and call 911 and I finally got him to let out a weak little cough. An eternity later (maybe only 5 seconds), he let out another little cough. Little by little I got him to start popping his lungs out and breathing well. I held on to him for most of the rest of the night, I was just SO grateful he was alive.

I don't really know if he wasn't breathing at all. I don't know if I walked in there at exactly the right minute to convince him to breathe. Maybe he was breathing, but it was just too shallow to detect. I don't know.

All I know is it might be the scariest moment of your life to flop your baby's body around without the slightest response from them. I really thought he was dead. I am SO glad that he's okay, and he's just as charming, cute, and talkative as ever. In fact he talked my ear off for most of the night. I just love that baby.

(A funny side note. After I got him to breathe normally, he started whispering a lot of things. For some reason I heard a word or two that triggered my middle-of-the-night mind to think that he was about to tell me about his near death experience. He must have said something about Jesus that caught my attention. But as I kept listening I started hearing more things about choo choos and doggies and realized he was just rambling.)

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I didn't realize I was holding my breath until I let out a huge sigh of relief that he took some breaths. Erica, that is really scary!
I'm SO glad he's doing okay now.

Seriously... said...

ahhhhh! that is the scariest feeling! my second boy has asthma, and we've had some pretty scary nights and trips to the ER and times where you're just sitting there willing them to breathe! it is the worst thing in the world. Tonight my little guy took a tumble from the 2nd or 3rd stair and fell on his nose. We think it might be broke, it's huge and swollen, so we're watching it tonight and i'll take him in tomorrow if it's worse....