Sunday, February 8, 2009

The tooth.... *sniff, sniff*



My baby boy lost his tooth. Okay, so he's turning 5 in two months, but he's still my baby boy. Doesn't this make me old? I think it does. His front teeth have been wiggly for a few weeks now, and on Friday it became apparent that one of them was going to come out. He became obsessed. He had to leave his friend's house that he was playing at to come talk to me about the tooth, and we spent a few hours on an emotional rollercoaster until that thing came out.

First he was so excited about it coming out, so I showed him some You-tube videos of the old "door and string" technique (I saw this on a friend's blog). He almost jumped right out of his skin with excitement, but I didn't dare do it! Then he saw a little bit of blood in one of the videos. Then he cried and cried and said he didn't want his tooth to come out because bleeding hurts. I told him to just wait, but he couldn't! So he tried eating an apple. And that made it more loose, and even bleed a little (I didn't tell him that part), but it didn't come out. Then he regained his confidence in the "door and string" technique and we went for it. *A word of warning: Use a heavy, fast door when trying this technique.* The first three times we tried, the string came right off the tooth, I can't even understand how that happened. We finally tied it to the big, heavy front door, that has no carpet slowing it down, and the tooth was out. It did bleed, you can see it a little in the picture, but it wasn't an issue at that point.

Of course he wanted to go to bed at 5:30 so the tooth fairy could come. Instead he spent the rest of the evening talking about his lost tooth, and carrying it around in a bag. The tooth fairy did come. I had a rather forgetful tooth fairy growing up, and I am very nervous about our tooth fairy. Our tooth fairy doesn't keep much cash on hand, so she gave Isaac $1.50 which was all the small change she had. It is quite a responsibility, one that I'm sure she will make mistakes with, but kids are forgiving.

Isaac woke up at 5:00 am to check on his money, and came to tell us about his money.

Here is the video of the tooth pulling.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Way to go Isaac! One tooth down and a whole mouth full to go.