Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I caught a whopper!

Fishing and babies are very different. When you go fishing you want to catch the biggest fish possible, right? Catching a really big fish boosts your self esteem. It is a great accomplishment. And it makes a great story.

It's just not like that with babies. You don't want to have the biggest baby, the longest, the biggest head circumference. There is no prize for the biggest baby. And it certainly doesn't boost your self esteem.

I just had my dr's appointment today, and I caught another whopper! I am 34 weeks tomorrow, and I measure 33 weeks, but I asked the dr to estimate the baby's weight and he told me....... 5.5- 6 lbs. Already! Goodness sakes, we're in for another whopper. If I made it to my due date, and he gained .5 lb a week like the text books say they do, we'd have an 8.5-9 lb baby. Yikes!

The good news is that I am right on the same schedule that I was with the other babies. I am dilated to 3 cm and 80% effaced. He said the baby might even be at 0 station, which I've never had him say before. He said he'd see me next week one way or the other, with an appointment or a baby. He's hoping for 2 more weeks, and at that point he said he won't stop my labor. He told me he really didn't think it would be any longer than 3 weeks, which just isn't that long.

I am feeling pretty good these days. I stopped taking my miserable shots and I really am not having many contractions. So I can almost say I'm enjoying these last weeks of pregnancy, aside from getting up in the night several times, life is pretty good.

2 comments:

brookiebaby said...

At last, you can see a light at the end of the tunnel!!! Ah...I LOVED the last week of my pregnancy! Doing EVERYTHING that I couldn't do for about 25+ weeks..it was awesome! :) I'm so glad that you're feeling well, and so glad that the baby is growing and strong! We're thinking of you guys! PLEASE keep us posted!
LUVS!

Dede said...

Ah the joy of having a gigantic baby! I wish there was a prize for the biggest. A 10 pounder would have to qualify in the rankings somewhere right? I hope he doesn't end up being huge for your sake! It is nice to know they're healthy.