Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Thinking about birth

http://www.wombecology.com/epidural.html

This link states that epidurals lead to more posterior babies. Well, I've had 2 of 3 babies posterior, and it is something I'd REALLY like to avoid again.

With my other babies I have gotten my epidural upon showing up at the hospital. I really never waited for the pain to come. This time I am planning on going as long as I can comfortably go without one. That way I can move around longer and try to keep the baby from being posterior. I sure hope it helps! If I make it too far to get the epidural, oh well, I delivered Henry without being numb, and the actual delivery wasn't the painful thing. It was the posterior thing that hurt.

So I've been reading natural childbirth books, especially since I've been on partial bedrest, reading has become a lifesaver. I read the Bradley Method and Hypobirthing. I feel like I have learned a lot, I don't know how good I'll be at either of them, but I'm going to try some methods I have learned from both.

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd love to hear it. I'm just going in to this thing with a more open mind than I've had in the past. But I have to admit that I do love those epidurals, so I have a hard time imagining NOT getting one. We'll just see what happens. I do know I don't want to lay in bed for 10 hours like I did with Henry.

2 comments:

brookiebaby said...

I did NOT have an epidural or any drugs upon arriving at the hospital (you know my story) and he was posterior. So, my nurse had me do a TON of weird positions to get him to turn, and it seemed to help a little. He was a little, tiny bit turned, but not as bad as he was before. The positions hurt, especially when the contractions were coming on so fast, but I do think it helped. Some of the positions were on all fours, with my head laid on my arms, and on each side, etc. Maybe ask your nurse, or look into it more. Good luck! I'm thinking of ya! Congrats on making it so far!
I'm cheering you on! :) ha ha!

It's Miller Time said...

Hope you don't mind that I peek in on your blog. Just something to think about...When I had my first I went 18 hours with no pain meds which made getting the epidural a little bit tricky once I decided that I wanted it. It's nice to get the epidural when the pain is still manageable and sitting still for a few minutes isn't as big of a deal.