Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sick Baby :(

I have been so busy since I got home from Disneyland I haven't even had any time to blog! On Sunday when Dave drove Henry home from Las Vegas and poor Henry had a terrible fever. When he dropped Henry off at my mom's house he told her to take him to the doctor the next day if he wasn't better. Well over the next five days Henry went to 2 pediatricians, Primary Children's hospital, and the Logan Regional Emergency Room. On Monday and Tuesday he wouldn't even move his neck, sit up, or walk or crawl. When my mom took him to Primary Children's the doctor was sure that he had meningitis! But luckily that wasn't the case.

So the poor kid had tons of blood drawn, a CT scan on his neck, a spinal tap, 2 ultrasounds, 2 sets of x-rays, and was spared a few other requested tests that I declined on. He had something nasty in his body, he had two tests that show signs of infection, the CRP is supposed to be under 1 and his was 14, and the SedRate is supposed to be less than 10 and his was 116! So he was definitely sick, but they couldn't figure out with what, and why he wouldn't walk or move his neck. The doctors were all pretty puzzled and in the end the best diagnosis they could give was called Toxic Tenosynovitis. Basically it means that he had a terrible viris that caused inflammation in his joints which caused extreme pain. I kept trying to tell people that this was the happiest baby ever, and for him to be crying and clinging to us was NOT normal and meant something was VERY wrong. The poor baby spent days just clinging to my Mom and then to us with his head on our shoulders and a rigid, tense body curled up in a ball.

He is doing a lot better now, which is the only reason I can take a minute to blog. He is a lot happier, and not in very much pain. He crawls around and plays. The only thing that is unfortunate is he is still unable to walk. He is starting to get bugged by it too, he tries to stand up, but just doesn't have the strength. This was a kid who didn't crawl at all anymore, so it's still pretty disturbing to me. My goal is to have him taking steps by Monday, hopefully he'll make it. If you have a minute, please say a little prayer for my Henry that he'll get better and be able to walk again soon.

And by the way. I want to give special recognition to my wonderful mother who took care of Henry in his extreme sickness. She was supposed to have the easy job of tending Henry who scarcely makes a peep, and instead she had a ridiculously sick baby that needed 24 hour care, and she spent her time up at the hospital. She used it as a bonding experience, and I'm sure it's something Henry won't soon forget. Thank you Mom for your help, we love you!

2 comments:

Mame & Don Kammann said...

So sorry to see that Bubba was so sick. I feel so bad he had to go through all those tests, but glad that it wasn't really serious. We will say lots of prayers for him to get better. Give him a big kiss and hug from Aunt Mame & Uncle Don

Jocee Bergeson said...

get better henry. that is so disturbing, esp while you're out of town! can't wait to hear about disneyland. let us know how henry's doing this week.