Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I'm grateful for my children???

Today is one of those days when I wonder why I love my children. Sometimes it really makes no sense, but I really do adore them. Seriously, I had one of most horrific, yet hilarious hours of my life today. I went to vote, and figured while I was out I would renew my driver's license. (I didn't know it was expired until I tried to get on an airplane. It expired in March!) I thought I could handle taking a picture with my kids with me, and off I'd go. Wrong!

Because my license was expired for so long I had to take the written exam. 25 questions, no problem. They failed to tell me that they were 25 questions that had almost nothing to do with day-to-day driving, and that I would have to search through a book to find answers to. "The average person is too drunk to drive after 3 drinks of beer, 3 mixers, or something else, and maintains that by drinking one additional drink per hour, True or false?" WHO CARES! How about, just don't drink and drive and it doesn't matter! Or "Which type of signs are rectangular?" The answer was "regulatory." How about I read the sign, and tell you what it says, and the shape just doesn't have much to do with it! This was a good one, I think it really applies to the average person (sarcasm) "A military personnel licensed in Utah can keep their Utah license for 90 days when in another state." Why should I take a test about that. Why don't they put that on the military test or something. How many people really run into that scenario?

So while I was flipping through the 40-something page book looking for answers, the following things happened with my three kids running around.

-Isaac went potty... twice.
-Dawson thought he might need to go potty, and started stripping down.
-Dawson climbed up on the study booths, and was jumping from booth to booth.
-The grumpy lady asked me not to let my kids climb up on the booths or chairs. I wanted to ask her how I was supposed to do that AND take a test.
-Dawson dumped the package of Nerds that some nice lady gave him.
-Dawson opened up the door, and Henry crawled into the rain.
-Isaac asked me every question he could think of regarding the driver's license division.
-I told Isaac he was going to get in big trouble and possibly go to jail if he wasn't good in this place.
-Isaac asked the attendant if he really would go to jail, and they guy told him no.
-I considered begging them to take me to jail.
-I think I asked Isaac to be quiet about 40 times.
-I asked Isaac to go retrieve Henry after he crawled away, WITHOUT carrying him.
-Isaac retrieved him by carrying him, and then dropped him and Henry bonked his head.

And last but not least, the crowning jewel of the experience...................

As I was searching for the answer of question 24 of 25, the man came and told me I had 80% of the test right, and didn't need to answer the last two questions. I think I'll send him some chocolates, and maybe name my next child after him. He was my HERO! So I took a hideous picture, and went on my way.

I would have just left in the middle of the test, but I was scared they would call the police since I didn't have a license. I'm so glad I passed that dang test, I really don't know what they would do with me if I hadn't.

As for the election, I'm trying to stay positive. I'm really excited for tonight, but I hope I'm not disappointed. Isaac keeps asking me who the elephant is (My preschool lesson on the political parties had a huge impact on him!). And he says he would definitely vote for the elephant, whatever his name is.

And here is a picture of that "sweet" little boy whose name was listed so many times above. Luckily, he finds ways to steal my heart many times throughout the day, and that seems to counteract times like I had today. He was really proud of his new soccer shirt that I put on him today.

3 comments:

attack of The Mouse said...

Funny. I just renewed my licence last week. It is a nightmare in there, even with a well behaved child. I am so sorry you had to take the test. I was 2 weeks away from having to take the test. Thank goodness. I think I probally would have failed, because the questions are just like you said, "not about everyday driving."

Tiff Rudd said...

Oh boy, don't we all have those days! I just realized a few days ago that mine expired in April! Hope TN doesn't make me take a test! Now I am just trying to find a time to go get it without my kids - after reading that I will try harder! :)

Carrie said...

As terrible as the experience was - I love that story. I am glad that you recorded the details!