Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Magic



My Mom started a new Christmas tradition in our family. She doesn't know it's a tradition yet, but... she does now! She gave each of my boys one of the old school Chocolate Christmas Calendars. Isaac loves it! He not only talks about how it is "So nice of Grammy to give me chocolate," but also about how many chocolates are left and how when the chocolate is gone, Christmas is here. I make him find the numbers, so it is helping him identify his numbers. It has been so fun, thanks Mom!

I LOVE wrapping presents. I love to be creative in trying to make my presents look pretty, but I never spend very much money on wrapping supplies. I always buy my wrapping paper 75% off after Christmas, and my ribbon too. I also try to buy the paper that isn't so Christmassy for 75% off too, so I wrap birthday and baby presents for cheap too. This year, I don't have much in the way of ribbon for some reason. So I've been trying to be creative to make my wrapping pretty without having to go buy ribbon full price. I learned that wrapping paper can make great ribbon. And in the process of using some of my "paper" ribbon, I came up with this great idea. Wrapping paper snowflakes! They are so pretty! (Don't look Mom and Dad, that is your present!) So as you are wrapping your presents this year, give someone a present with a "wrapping paper snowflake." And you can even take the credit for that brilliant idea. I hereby release to rights to all my blog readers to make "wrapping paper snowflakes." Lucky you!


Our new family Christmas Eve tradition that I'm excited about is the "Christmas Cake." We were talking with our friends about how to bring Christ into Christmas, and we decided to make a birthday cake for baby Jesus. But somehow, Dave and I aren't the world's biggest cake fans, so we decided to make a coffee cake (renamed Christmas cake) on Christmas Eve and eat it for breakfast on Christmas morning. Of course, with candles and the song. I mean for a kid to believe that we are celebrating the birth of the Savior, don't they need to see the birthday cake? I'm excited about this way to teach our children about why we celebrate Christmas.

We love Christmas time in our family, and we are having fun planning all our new traditions for our little family.

4 comments:

Tiff Rudd said...

You always have such cute and creative ideas - with wrapping and parenting! :) I will definitely be stealing them! Hey - I am also waiting for the all about pregnancy blog entry. I have a friend who is trying to get pregnant and wants to read it too. Anyway, glad everything is good! Love ya! Tiff

Trisha said...

I LOVE those calendars!!!! I haven't seen any around, I need to look harder, but they're probably all gone by now:)
And very cute present idea, I'll have to give it a go, my snowflakes of the past were a little wanting. We'll see how it goes...

Unknown said...

Cute present wrapping I am impressed. Can I just say that I LOVED those advent calendars when I was little my mom and dad always bought us one it was the best! Hope all is well with you guys, Merry Christmas!

Carrie said...

The birthday cake idea is getting better and better. Do we have permission to use it too?