Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My sister Aimee



My cute sister Aimee had surgery on Tuesday. She had cancer in her tongue last year, and it spread into her lymph nodes. So she had surgery to remove those lymph nodes, and they found a lot more cancer, unfortunately. It was a really rough surgery and a REALLY hard recovery. After 4 weeks of recovering she will have the decision to do 6-8 weeks of radiation and chemotherapy. It is hard for us all to watch her go through this. We just want her to feel better so badly! We really love her and hope that her recovery is fast. I'm so sorry she has to go through this. If you have a minute please say a prayer for her, she needs all the prayers she can get.

Aimee is 8 years older than me, and has always been a great older sister to me. I've heard many stories of her carrying me around on her hip (And I was a BIG baby) and taking care of me right from the start. She is such a thoughtful person. She has always found little nice things to do for me through the years. I remember when I was around 4 years old and I swallowed some little plastic thing. I was terrified that I was going to die from it or something. Aimee put together a treasure hunt for me and I found a little present at the end. She did so many fun things for me as a child. I especially remember her mailing or bringing home fun things when she went away to college. She sent home great 80's mix tapes, candy, and other treats for me.

When Dave & I got married, Aimee gave us a free night at the Anniversary Inn for our honeymoon. Since then she has given us so many thoughtful gifts both to Dave and I, and to our kids.

Aimee and I have been on lots of fun trips together, even on the "family" trips we always ended up in the same rental car together. We love to sing Indigo Girls together, I take the alto and she the soprano. We've been to all their concerts together, and we try never to touch each other at the concerts so people can know we're sisters and not lesbians (The Indigo Girls are lesbians). We actually have tickets to their concert on June 19th, so I hope that she's feeling well enough to go.

Aimee is a very smart girl, and I've always been jealous at how successful she's been both in school and in her jobs. She's always had great jobs starting with babysitting jobs working her way through school and graduating with her MBA from BYU (A very competitive program). Upon graduation she had excellent jobs(although she didn't ENJOY all of them), but she always made a lot of money! She always has been a hard worker, and has had great success as a result.

Aimee is eternally one of my best friends and sister, and I love her! I hope this misery ends for her soon!

3 comments:

Dede said...

Erica - I'm so sorry to hear about Aimee, what a tough challenge to go through. We will keep her in our prayers! She sounds like such a neat sister and person. Hope to see you soon...

Anonymous said...

Erica, that was such a beautiful description of Aimee. She is lucky to have such a wonderful sister who loves her so much. We also love her and are hoping our prayers will be answered. We love you. Aunt Mame & Uncle Don

Trisha said...

Thanks for this post Erica. I know Aimee is one of your readers and I just want to send her my love.
And to you as well.