Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Brag (Isaac)

I have to brag. No, I shouldn't.....Yeah I will, no I won't.
Sorry, I have to. I can't help it. **DO NOT READ ON IF YOU DON'T LIKE BRAGGERS*
(In other words, don't read on unless you are a blood relative.)

We had Isaac's parent teacher conference today. Now Isaac is pretty much the dream oldest child. Bright, responsible, concerned with others, sweet. So naturally we would expect to hear all those things from his teacher at his conference, and we did. She said he is good to help others with their work, nice to people, and excelling in all his subjects. His scores were very high, the only things he seems to lose points on is spelling, and only 1 word per test at the most!

He recently told me that he does his reading group in the library. I was feeling a little bit concerned about this. I thought perhaps he was getting the shaft by this because they didn't have any reading aids to help him in the classroom. The more advanced readers usually don't get help with their reading groups. I felt kind of sorry for him that he wasn't getting the same level of reading help as the other kids. He told me that 6 kids from his class and a few kids from the other classes met together in the library for their reading group. And he LOVES the librarian who helps them.

We learned in the conference that they were able to create a special program for the top readers to go down and do some special activities in the library during their reading time. I then learned about all the things that Isaac had told me he had done (which were pretty cool) and that they were a part of this program. What a neat thing that the principal put together so that these kids no longer get the shaft! I'm pretty excited for him. And my mother bear instincts that made me feel bugged about it have relaxed.

I must also add that I love his teacher. I think she is so nice and doing wonderful things for him. I'm so grateful for good public schools!

1 comment:

Ann said...

That's my grandson!!!