Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Day 6

Tube feeding every other feeding did great things for Walker. He is supposed to get 50 ml in each feeding, but he got as high as 38 I think from the breast. Yesterday he had gotten as little as 3 ml. After all attempts to breastfeed, he tube feeds the difference. They weigh him before and after eating without letting anything else change (diaper, blanket, etc) and they see the difference between the two weights. Then the rest is put through his NG tube. On the other feedings, we don't even try to breastfeed, he rests while getting it all through his tube.

Today the doctor thought that we were successful enough that we should bump it up. 2 feeds at the breast, 1 tube feed. We tried and it didn't go well, so we are going to back off and go back to every other.

The doctor also said to take him off of phototherapy today. I was not happy with this decision. For some reason, he came back a few minutes later and looked at his results from this morning. His bilirubin had gone up, and while still below the danger zone, the fact that it's rising tells us that his liver still isn't working that well. Personally, I think the only reason his levels are as low as they are is because of the lights, we never let them get high. He looks really good though, I've never had a baby with a white torso before. His face is still yellow, but not glowing, and the whites of his eyes actually is pretty white.

His weight was down to 4.15 , but is now back up to 5.2. So weight is looking great, almost to birthweight.

He still doesn't have the energy to cry really, he goes right back to sleep when you put him down. He is so sweet to hold, he just sleeps in your arms. I am loving my time with him, I don't mind this NICU stay at all.

It's poor Dave that has to do all the hard work at home. He is pretty much Super Dad though. I'm so proud of him. He's doing a great job and is so supportive.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I found out yesterday that my co-worker, Jefe has been subbing for Dave's classes. I am surprised I didn't figure it out sooner. I was baffled that one teacher could take off that much time. THEN it all clicked. :) I am glad bebe Walker has a white tummy. :)

Jocelyn said...

I have been reading every post -- it's just been a bit hectic around here.

You make everything sound so positive through your words and good attitude. I'm sure there are still worrisome moments, though. I'm here and so close by! I'd love to come visit, help, hold baby, etc.

I'm glad he's getting close to his BW again and that you're figuring out a way to still breastfeed even if it's not exclusively.

You are simply awesome...and Dave is, too!

I'm hopeful that little Walker is healthy and well by the time the Christmas party rolls around -- I want to love on him! :)