Thursday, November 17, 2011

Coming

I've been working on a post about my delivery. It's been a draft for well over a week. For some reason I feel totally compelled to record every single detail, so it will be a long one. I'll finish it up soon.

Until it's done, here is a random tidbit about premature babies (for those who know me well, you know I want to know everything, I ask a ton of questions)

We had our pediatrician at the delivery because of Walker's prematurity. He didn't have to do much, Walker got apgars of 8 and 9, so he was a pretty standard delivery. But as soon as they put him on the isolette to clean him up, the doctor announced that it looked like the dates were correct based on the bottoms of his feet.

Bottoms of his feet? I had to ask him about that. He told me he was hoping we weren't dealing with a true 34 weeker. But when he saw how smooth the bottom of his feet were, he knew that Walker really was at the beginning of his 34th week. So I googled pictures of baby feet. And sure enough, most baby feet have deeper lines in them, but Walkers were smoother. Now he is 37 weeks, and the lines on his feet look a little more prominent to me. Not that I have much of an eye for it, but I thought it was a fascinating thing to learn.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

That's super interesting! Bodies absolutely amaze me.

Cathie said...

What a blessing that he gets such high scores! Sweet little guy - snuggle him from me! Congratulations! I like that you feel like Micheal although 15 kids more is a lot more! ;) It looks like you are doing a super job!