Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tonsillectomies

On Sunday I felt the beginning stages of Strep coming. I started right onto antibiotics.

On Monday I had a yearly checkup. (I've never had one of those before, I've always been pregnant) My doctor looked at my tonsils and recommended getting them out soon, especially before I think about getting pregnant again.

On Tuesday we took the whole crew to the ENT and he looked at my tonsils. Said they need to come out. Looked at Dave's tonsils, cringed and said they need to come out. Looked at Dawson, said his face was developing flat because he didn't breathe through his nose and that he needed them out. Looked at Dawson's tonsils and cringed again. Heard Dawson talk and said that his speech would be greatly improved without those tonsils. (Note, Dawson had absolutely no space between his tonsils, his entire throat was filled with them, and he wasn't even sick). Looked at Henry for good measure and recommended his come out too. Scheduled Dave and Dawson for the very next day so that Dave would be fully recovered when school started.

Tuesday afternoon I called Dave extremely annoyed that I left that office without an appointment. I told him there was no time for me to get mine out then. He can take off work for his tonsils, but he won't take it off for MINE! So he called and asked if we could switch. They said yes. He called me, and I told him no. I changed my mind, I was never getting them out. He gave me five minutes to make my decision, but strongly encouraged me to do it. I called a friend and she told me to do it.

Wednesday we went to the hospital and they took Dawson back first. I got REALLY scared. It seems like a stupid idea to get surgery when you feel healthy. It's like how so many people are scared of epidurals until they are in pain, and then they don't care how big the needle is. I wasn't feeling pain, why would I voluntarily walk into an OR and come back out in pain. Seemed like a dumb thing to do.

Dave spent the 25 minutes we waited making me laugh. Until I cried. Seriously, he was being so funny. He was over-dramatizing the tonsillectomy procedure, improving it each time he did it. Then he was making armpit noises with his shoe and pretending it was his armpit when the anesthesiologist walked in. It was pretty funny. I'm glad he was there to take my mind off of things.

I walked into the OR and they started making me feel good. I like the feeling when they put you to sleep.

When I woke up I started to cry. The nurse asked me what was wrong. I told her I wanted my dad to come back. I couldn't stop crying. I don't remember my dad being there. I don't remember dreaming about him. I just remember the feeling that he left me. I heard the nurse tell someone what I said, so I told her that he died 3 months ago. I wish I could remember in what capacity he was there. But I'm glad I spent a few minutes with him regardless of how I did it.

They wheeled me back in with Dawson and he was sleeping. Dave seemed happy to see me. He crawled in bed with me and I was so happy. I was surprised by how good I felt. Just really sleepy.

Everyone told me that kids bounce back way quicker than adults. That Dawson would do so much better than me. They just don't know Dawson. He is so sensitive. He has had a really rough time. He is in way more pain than I am.

I am doing great. I ate a grilled cheese sandwich last night. I am talking fine and eating fine. I can go without the pain meds, but have decided I am more comfortable with them. I am just impressed that it is do-able without the narcotics. I can't believe how good I feel, and I hope it doesn't get worse.



Dawson's legs were suddenly "tired" when it came time to walk into the hospital. Poor baby, it's a good thing I know you really need your tonsils out, or I wouldn't do this to you.


This poor guy had to fast all day. He was starving and really impatient for the doctor to come. Coloring kept his mind off his hunger for awhile.



This is a series of his complaining faces. He was REALLY sick of waiting

As they walked him to the OR he was naming all the colors of Popsicles he was going to eat when he was done.

This was me trying to hide so they didn't come to get me. Shortly after this photograph the stand up comedy began and I was better off.

Dawson right after he was done. He drank a TON, then fell asleep.



This is me an hour after surgery. Not too bad, right?

They brought us an oversized wheelchair so we could share.

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I hope he gets better quickly and that you keep on the path you're going!

Bettridge Family said...

You are stinking lucky! I almost died getting mine out when I was 14. I would never wish that upon anyone. I had to be put back into the hospital 2 times. I'm so glad it woked out for you guys. I hope it is that way for the rest of the family and you never get strep again!