Thursday, January 14, 2010

Isaac



I've sent my sweet little Isaac to school, and he's picked up some "not-so-sweet" behaviors lately. "I don't care" is the latest. "Isaac, we don't say that word." "I don't care." Oh honey, you will care when you're grounded from the Wii. OOOOHHHHH it makes me so mad. School is a tough thing, but he'll have to learn how to keep his manners even if the kids in his class don't. He's really done pretty well, but don't you expect perfection from your oldest? ;) If you have any advice for me, please let me know.

Isaac was playing the Wii before school (his morning ritual) and he came into my room and told me he was sick. Nice try son. Go eat some breakfast. He totally isn't sick, he just wanted to stay home and play the Wii all day. Little monkey!

I went to his parent teacher conference on Tuesday. He is doing much better than at the beginning of the year, which is naturally a great thing. But I do think that his new teacher is a little less likely to tell me negative things than the old teacher was. The very interesting thing was his test results from the Dibels testing. There were three sections of the test. 1. First sound of the word. 2. Isolate each sound. 3. Read nonsense words like "Jib" or "lob" that prove the ability to do the first two things and blend it together. So the funny thing is that he scored on the very bottom of the Kindergarten benchmark score for the first two. That would be a little bit concerning except that the third score, which can only be achieved through mastery of the first two, was much higher. His third score was actually at the top of the second grade benchmark.

So I learned two things. One, he's doing fine on his reading, I need to work on spelling with him so that ISCDT doesn't spell "ice skating" and two, testing is so faulty. Seriously, he must have been distracted or confused on the first two tests. I've quizzed him on them since then, and he's nailed it. I need to remember not to worry about test scores too much, because sometimes, and in this case, they prove nothing. Isaac also needs to work on his hand writing. He has terrible handwriting. I guess he takes after his parents.

Our little Isaac is a pretty good Kindergartner. We really do love him. What, oh what, would you do without your oldest child? They are so valuable!

Oh yeah, see disclaimer 12/11/2009

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Tests show who is good at taking tests, don't you think?

They do have to learn to spell eventually, but I think Kindergartner spelling is actually pretty cool. If you stop and look, it's really the way we say things. He'll catch on soon to the "correct" way to spell things.

He is beautiful, by the way.

And what would we do without our oldests? They're our practice kids.