Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My random thoughts from the last week, I have a lot of them

Here are a bunch of random things I wanted to write down. I don't know if they are interesting to anyone else, but I have to record them somewhere!

Dawson overheard us saying that the baby looked like him. He doesn't look JUST like him, but he has a lot of similarities. Well, Dawson now calls the baby "me". "Me" is hungry, "me" is so cute, etc. He is VERY defensive about it, if you even dare to challenge the thought that the baby is him. It is a little baby Dawson! These boys love the baby! But I wish Henry didn't notice his existence, he just doesn't quite understand that the baby's foot will break if you twist it around. You know what I mean?

I can't believe how little pain was involved in my natural childbirth. As we searched our phone records we found out that Dave hung up with his parents 1 minute before G. Jesse was delivered. And I didn't scream until after he hung up, so I was only in excruciating pain for 1 minute? Thats no worse than stubbing your toe! I LOVE that I got my natural childbirth, and that I didn't have time to wimp out. I definitely plan on trying for another natural childbirthing experience in the future (distant future), and smirk as I wonder if the next labor will be long or extremely painful.

I LOVE having a newborn. I can't understand why I have to go through that dreaded pregnancy thing for something so wonderful! Probably the Lord knows I would have too many kids if I could have babies without pregnancy. But I seriously LOVE my teensy little baby.

We have two friends who had full term babies a few days ago, and they both were in the NICU for breathing issues. How did I end up with a car delivered preemie who can breathe? I am SO glad the Lord blessed us with a healthy lung-ed baby. I'd like to think that this baby had angels attending his birth that helped him out. Of course he did! I know of two angels who wouldn't miss it.

My doctor sent us a beautiful houseplant/flowers with a car on the top. This was the fourth out of four deliveries he has missed, and he is a doctor who is known for delivering most of his own patients. It's SO strange that he's missed all of mine, but I guess everyone missed this one, so it didn't really matter. But he was delivering cows in Idaho that night, and I was kind of annoyed! He is an awesome doctor, I feel like I got absolutely incredible prenatal care, and it was very nice to send that plant. The note says "Sorry I missed the delivery" and he actually called me first thing Monday morning and apologized many times about the car birth. I don't really see any way that he could have prevented it, my history doesn't match up with something like this happening. I told him we'd have to rethink what we would do for next time though, he was very surprised to hear me say next time after this!

I have been thinking about animals that eat their babies lately. That always baffled me, but I have to admit my baby looks absolutely yummy to me! Okay, not really, but I definitely can't keep my lips off of him.

Dave and I laugh all the time when we look at this kid because he is SO small!!! He weighed in Wednesday at 5 lbs. 8 oz. Nothing fits him. And I have a fantastic preemie wardrobe. He is wearing preemie diapers, and they are really cute!!! Dave's sister Natalie kept laughing at his bones sticking out. It makes me feel kind of guilty that I thought I was going to have a big baby, and he is so small. I really, truly thought he would weigh 7 pounds.

Dave keeps reminding me that he is still supposed to be inside me, and to keep holding him. I was loving the sling so I could hold him and still have my hands free. Not using it now because...

Baby G.'s bilirubin jumped up to 20.5, so once again we have a baby on the lights. It was to be expected, and I should never have let that glimmer of hope sneak in that he wouldn't be jaundiced. The good news is he dropped to 17 the next day, which is the biggest drop we've had with our jaundiced babies. So we are done with the lights this evening.

I don't want to declare this baby a "good" baby, because I know that anything can happen at any time.... But so far he has been an angel. He has been consistently sleeping two 5 hour blocks at night, so I just get up once in the night. Sometimes that one time is very quick, and sometimes it takes awhile, but it's not terrible. He is almost unwakeable, so feeding is sometimes hard as he roots and acts hungry, and then he falls right asleep as soon as I start feeding.

Having 4 kids doesn't seem any different than having 3.... until you try to leave the house. What a scene! Tuesday morning I had to have all 4 kids out the door at 8:15 for G. Jesse's 5 day appointment. It probably takes 15 minutes to get them all buckled in their carseats. As long as I don't go anywhere, life has been quite normal for us. And I feel great!

Here are some pictures. We haven't really taken many as this kid is always naked on the lights.

I don't know who he looks like here, I'm not even sure he looks like himself.


The car houseplant.


The little glowing angel. He actually loves these lights, they keep him nice and warm.


And just a funny picture of Bubba. He just came in from playing in the snow, and he looks hilarious in this snowsuit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bubba looks soo cute in that snow suit!

Carrie said...

I like your random thoughts. It is strange that we can talk every day and I still enjoy reading your blog.

jhjonze said...

I just wanted to say hi! First of all, I have met you once or twice, but I'm sure you don't remember. Dave (Brother Low to me) was my favorite seminary teacher. When he transferred to SV, my friend and I came and begged him to emcee our Mr. MC program. That was when I met you, because I was in charge of it- fyi. Say hi to him for me please, my maiden name is McMurdie.

I recently discovered your Preggot blog and LOVED it. I’m pregnant with my first and learned a lot of great stuff, so thanks!

It’s just funny that I found your blog because my sister-in-law had a baby this weekend and we were talking about “that girl that had her baby in a car recently” and how scary it would have been. It was fun to read the whole story.

So sorry for the uber long comment, I was just really excited to find your blog! I hope everything continues to go smooth for you guys!

Emily + Eric said...

I'm going to agree with the great doctor thing. He truly is the best doctor! Let's get together soon for some dinner or something & you can re-hash the story again to us! You're the woman!