Sunday, April 6, 2008

General Conference Traditions

I love General Conference! It is such a fun thing to stay home all weekend and enjoy the inspired words of our prophets and apostles. I have always loved conference since we moved to Utah (I didn't like it when I was a kid sitting in a dark chapel for 2 hours in New Jersey). And I love it when new apostles are called, and Dave can never guess them right. (Nor can I, but I don't even try!). We really enjoyed the solemn assembly today as we sustained our new prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. The spirit really testified to me that he is called of God to be our prophet.

My husband is always coming up with new traditions! He has been working on some family traditions for general conference. Here is what we have so far:

-Ritz crackers, easy cheese, and guava juice...... whenever the prophet speaks to us. President Monson always gets out these three things when his family comes to visit. They always know he'll have them on hand for him. So when he speaks, we will get out those three things, don't worry we're stocked up!

-Make homemade cinnamon rolls and take them to some of our friends on Sunday morning. One of Dave's students has a neighbor who does that every conference and they love it, so we're going to start doing it (Uggh, it's a lot of work, but they are really tasty!)

-Our Saturday night tradition we have been doing for a year or so: after Priesthood session Grandma Stevie and I meet up with Dave and Gordon at Macey's for a donut and some chocolate milk. Here is our family at Macey's. Notice my three blue-eyed, blue shirted boys. I couldn't be prouder. I love having a family!

4 comments:

The Van Leeuwen Family said...

That's so cute! As long as we've been married, it's been our General Conference tradition to make the Rhodes Orange Rolls on Sunday morning for breakfast. In the past the girls in Randy's fam all get together during the priesthood session & scrapbook but didn't get to this time around (bummer). I love our Conference weekend traditions, it makes the weekend just that much more special.

Carrie said...

Great traditions! We have yet to settle into our family traditions, but I think making donuts on Saturday during the priesthood session is going to do one. We have done it twice so I think by time three that makes it a tradition.

Tiff Rudd said...

Cool traditions!! And boy are you a good looking family! I love those blue eyed boys in their matching jackets!! So cute!

Mormon Share said...

I've featured this article at MormonShare.com here:

http://www.mormonshare.com/lds-general-conference

Since you've been featured, you can put a badge on your website if you like:
http://www.mormonshare.com/node/20076/i-was-featured-mormon-share

Thanks again -- if I could cook I would totally try the cinnamon roll thing. But I'm afraid it would cause me to loose friends instead of gaining them!!!