Saturday, August 25, 2012

Half marathon

Here is my recap of the race

Mile 1- longer than expected.
Mile 2- hey, I can do this
Mile 3- first chance to stop and we pass it by. Feeling great
Mile 4- wow, we actually finished this mile, that was the hardest for us last time.
Mile 6- I think I want a drink. We walk for a minute, but are still ahead of the 2:10 pacer
Mile 8- I'm not singing anymore(I sing to myself) I eat some skittles and I'm back to singing
Mile 9- can barely drink at the station because I'm out of breath, but a break is great for me.
Mile 10- we reach the highway and se all the families. I start to cry. Every time I think about seeing my family I cry. I love all the support here. I run faster.
Mile 11- I'm just trying to reach your aid station. I'm running out of steam
Mile 12- my leg cramps. I know I'm almost there, but I'm hurting. I saw my family and it was the greatest moment ever. I walk/ run despite knowing I'm almost done
Mile 13- I'd like to die. I contemplate not finishing even though I can see the finish line. 4 blocks from the finish line, maybe I'll quit. Nahh, keep running....sort of.

Finish line, I search for 5 boys in matching clothes and I feel like I've made it to Heaven when I finally found them.

I just wanted to get home, I was hurting. The weather was gorgeous, I loved the first 10.5 miles. I finished the race in about 2:16 or 2:17. I far exceeded my expectations. I feel like taught my children a lesson on hard work and accomplishing hard things as they watched me train for months. And I feel proud of myself for running despite the fact that I have asthma and have always really struggled with running. I believe that anyone without injured/bad joints, or other health issues can do it if I can, even if you are slow and asthmatic.

Thank you to my sister in law Brooke for training with me and being my race buddy. She is one of my best friends in the world, and she has helped me do much with running!

3 comments:

Lindsay Gillon said...

Erica! He probably doesn't remember me, but your husband was my seminary teacher when I started high school! He changed my life! It was the beginning of some hard times and trials, some of my hardest years followed, but he helped me find my foundation. :) I'm so grateful for him and would love to keep in touch with you guys! I actually just got married two weeks ago and my husband teaches seminary now as well! :) You have the most beautiful family! :)
-Lindsay (formerly Jardine)

Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann said...

Superstar Moms...both of you!I'm so proud (: