Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to School Night

Tonight is back to school night.  I'm really excited, and so are the kids.  As much as I love the freedom of summer, the freedom of summer kills me.  I never can get on top of my life when I have 5 kids at home all day long, and the days go so late in the summer.  I love it when it starts to get dark earlier, and I can get the kids in bed and clean up my house.  I love the structure.  I will, however, miss the ability to just leave the house and go to the pool, or the park, or grandma's house.  It's been a wonderful summer, my best yet I think.

I am really looking forward to THIS school year though, and I'll tell you why.  I think this will go down in history as my best school year ever.  That is tough to do, because last year was so incredibly awesome.  But this year I feel like my children are divided to have their own designated time with me each day.  Isaac is in 3rd grade, and will be gone all day.  He will come home at 3:45 and we will have our time together to do homework, reading, talk about the day.  Dawson is in Kindergarten and will come home at 12:30 to do homework, reading, and lunch with me.  Henry and G. are going to preschool on alternating days, so on their day off, they will have the morning with just Walker and I.  Henry is going to Sports Academy with some of his best friends, and G. is going to joy school with his neighborhood friends.  And of course since Walker is a baby, he gets my attention whenever he wants it.....little stinker.

I think this will be a magical year, despite the fact that I'm not ready to "lose" another child to every day school.  I keep telling Dawson that I am keeping him home, that I'll call the school and tell them that he's dead, and then he can stay with me all day.  His dimples pop out and he tells me no way.  But in reality he is SO ready for school, his brain is desperate for progression, and I am not qualified at all to give it to him.  So off he goes to Kindergarten.


No comments: