Monday, May 17, 2010

60th Birthday Party

I've been super duper mad that I didn't post this before my dad died. It really was the highlight of the last month of his life. He had such a great time, he was so happy to surprise my mom, and he was happy to be together with so many people he loved. He really never stopped talking about it, I'm sure he told his employer in Wyoming about it the night before he died. He would have liked to see this blog post, but I guess if anyone can find internet access in Heaven it would definitely be George Biada, maybe he'll see it? I hope so.

My mom's birthday always sneaks up on me right after mine. Mine is March 25th and hers is April 5th. So a few years ago I put into my calendar, on my birthday this year, that I should plan a 60th birthday party for my mom. On March 25th, my dad called me to wish me a happy birthday. He was being very sweet trying to make it sound really cool that it was my birthday and that I was 28, and I finally interrupted him and told him that was old news. The exciting new thing was to plan mom's birthday party. He was game, and excited.

Now I must admit that I was extremely exhausted. This was right in the middle of all our basement stuff. Really, I didn't have time for all this. But I felt really strongly that we needed to do it. For our mom most of all, who has never been given a real birthday party by her children. But now I see it was for all of us, so we could enjoy this party together.

We were actually going to be in St. George for her birthday, so I decided that we would do it on March 31st. Realize that was only 6 days to plan. But we knew we could do it. I started passing out assignments to Lauren and Dad, and working on a gift as well. Dad started mobilizing his troops to clean the house. Which meant he mostly did it. Mom too. But everyone else helped a little bit I guess. He even organized carpet cleaners to come in that morning so the carpets would be perfect. Lauren ordered a cake, and scanned in pictures for the video. I designed an invitation and Lauren printed them and delivered them. Dad and I called the people that weren't close by to invite them. I had a 3'x6' color glossy banner printed out which was amazing. The theme of the party was "60...you actually made it." My mom has been through a lot in these 60 years, and she was so excited to actually make it to 60. Lauren ordered 25 balloons which we dispersed around the house and looked beautiful (only after I tangled all 25 balloons in the ceiling fan :). I provided all the additional food and drinks which covered the kitchen table, and were delish, if I do say so myself.

I must insert a funny story in here. My dad doesn't like Little Caesar's Pizza. I love the ease of picking it up without ordering and the cost too. He insisted that we get Costco pizza for the party. I was picturing us popping pizzas in and out of the oven for the entire party and just thinking he was crazy. I tried fighting him on that, but he wouldn't budge. So Lauren called and we were going through our checklist and I said, "About the pizza." Following that statement I went off on a long soliloquy about how she needed to change dad's mind, how it would be such a pain. Please plead my case Lauren! Maybe he'll listen to you. It's such a pain! When I was finally finished my dad said, "Are you done?" To which I replied, "Uh-oh." It was so funny. Apparently right after I said, "About the pizza." Lauren said, "Let me let you talk to Dad." but I didn't hear it because I was talking. It was pretty funny, but it did fix our problem in communication because I found out my dad was ordering hot pizza from Costco, not take and bake. It was all fine, and the pizza was great.

The plan was for my mom to go to the range at 3:30 with my dad. You see, my mom and dad got their concealed weapons permit, and would occasionally go to the range to practice shooting together. So my dad told her the plan at the beginning of the week, and at 3:30 I was approaching the Biada house. My dad calls. "Where are you?" I answer, "Oh you know Dad, I'm just at Lowe's buying stuff for my shelves." "What?" "I'm telling you a story Dad." "Well Mom isn't here, she's inside and I'm parking, so how about you tell me where you are!" "Oh, I'm approaching your house." "Phew, okay, keep in touch. We'll be home around 6:15."

So we took our little magic wands and turned the house into a birthday party, it really did look beautiful. And it was so fun. The guests started showing up at 6:00 and the scattered their cars around the road so it didn't look like they were all at the Biada house. At 6:05 ish my dad called (from the bathroom at Walmart) and asked what time they should be there. I told him 6:20 as Lauren wasn't there yet with the cake and pizza, but she showed up within a few minutes. So I texted him and told him 6:15. At that point my mom had gotten in her grocery shopping groove, and saw no hurry to leave. My dad had to shew her out of that store, and get her home.

We all were in their great room, which you cannot see when you walk right into the house. But unfortunately, a little boy, who must not be named, opened the door and peaked out. My mom was thrilled, "My grandson's are here." She walked in the house carrying the groceries, walked halfway back and we shouted surprise! She looked around with a happy surprised look for a few minutes, and as she saw the faces of all these people she loved, she lost it! She went straight for my dad and started crying. I started getting a little bit nervous that this wasn't the good kind of surprise. I asked her if we scared her, but she said no.

She had a fantastic time at the party, and didn't even eat a single thing. She was so pumped with adrenaline she had no appetite. She mingled with her friends, many of which she doesn't see very often, and after everyone left we opened her gifts which were lovely.

It was a great time. Great party. Great friends. I just wish we had a time capsule so we could go back and enjoy it again. I'm going to post more on that later.

Here are the videos. Not that great, taken with my phone. But still very fun. You have to watch the second one, that is when she walks in and we yell surprise.




And the video we made for mom.

5 comments:

Jocee Bergeson said...

Ok, that video make me cry. Not exactly sure why....maybe the music, maybe b/c your mom's lived such a good life, and maybe b/c her sweetheart isn't hear anymore and the pics of them together are just too cute. Glad you had a celebration! What a great memory....

Jocee Bergeson said...

ok, i meant to type here. i do know the difference, i promise!!

Lauri Franklin said...

Erica, love this post! It made me happy & sad at the same time..thanks for sharing :) So happy you all have these memories together, you must be so glad that you decided to plan this party, you'll remember it forever! Love you <3

Jocelyn said...

I just love that you acted on that inspiration. You are a good woman and what a treasured memory that party will always be.

Thanks, too, for sharing the videos. It's neat to see your family. Love, hugs, and prayers continue to come your way!

Brooke Low said...

Thank you for sharing all of this with us. I loved seeing your dad hugging your mom after everyone surprised her, he loved her so much. You made me cry, again. You are amazing and talented in all aspects of your life.