Monday, September 12, 2011

Top of Utah Half Marathon

I would love to be a runner. I have asthma, and it is very difficult to run. My husband on the other hand, has no interest in being a runner. Yet he has a natural talent for running. So I had mentioned to him in the past that he could probably run a half marathon without training. I never thought he would actually do it.

He signed up for the Top of Utah Half Marathon in the spring, figuring he would start training a few months before the race. He never did. He ran a couple of times, maybe a total of 8 miles before the race.....

The morning of the race, I begged him not to go. I was sure he was going to die. He was excited, and not about to pull out for me. So I dropped him off at the race with the promise that he would call me hourly.

1:45 into the race and he hadn't called me yet. I was starting to plan how our family would survive on our life insurance money and social security. Trying to calculate if I would need to get a job when Walker was in 1st grade...... I hopped in my car, left Isaac to babysit, and went to find him. I drove up the highway until I got to Hollow Road, and I parked, and started walking up Hollow Road. It wasn't too long before I saw him (He was wearing a white shirt, white shorts, and black socks, not too hard to spot!) I was so happy to see him, and he was running with a friend. He ran the whole race with this friend. I ran with him for about 1/10th of a mile (which made me very sore later) and then I walked back to my car. I went home and got the kids, and we barely made it to see him pass by the bottom of our hill. We rushed to the finish line, and again only stood there about 20 seconds when he ran by. It was so wonderful to see him still alive at the end of the race, and he ran the whole thing. His time was 2:30 and a few seconds. Not too bad for not training.

I was very proud of him, and of course, even more in love with him that he could do so well. I told him he'd have to run it again next year with me..... and it will surely be much easier, because I can't run it that fast!

Running past the bottom of our hill


Crossing the finish line


He did it!

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Dave's kind of a big deal. :)