Tuesday, February 2, 2010

When I knew it all

Today I was getting the kids ready for school. I handed Dawson his socks and told them to put them on. I walked away and came back to a struggling child who had one sock half way on. Frustrated, I grabbed the socks, and had his socks and shoes on in 2 seconds flat. I wondered how he was going to put his own socks on after swimming today at preschool. Then I had a flashback..........

The year was 2005 and twice a week I carted my little 9 month old boy to the Sports Academy preschool to teach tumbling. This job brought in a measly $100 a month, so really it was a hobby, and I really enjoyed these little preschoolers. At the end of the tumbling class, we would have to help kids put their socks and shoes on. "I can't put my socks on." I would hear in a whiny voice. "Yes you can." I would say, and the very same scenario would take place, just as it did this morning.

The thing was, I knew it all then. I would roll my eyes and think about those lazy parents that never taught their kids independence. I knew everything about parenting, because none of my theories had been proven wrong yet.

I really don't think there are very many moms who teach independence better than me. There are a lot of things in motherhood I don't do very well, but I am an extremely independent person and like my children to be independent too. But try as I may to teach Dawson independence, he still wants me to put his socks on him, and shoes, and he'd really like me to wipe him when he goes to the bathroom too, but I refuse. So I've raised one of those whiny kids who say, "I can't put my socks on." and I now understand that those parents may not have been as lazy as I thought they were.

It was nice back in those days to know everything. I wish I still knew everything. But there is good news. I know EVERYTHING about raising teenagers. And I'm going to enjoy that as long as I can. Until my theories are blown to smithereens and I look back and long for these days.

I AM excited about having all these teenage boys. I have frequently been told that teenage boys spoil their moms, and I look forward to that. And I just think they will be funny too. I'm going to have to work full time just to afford the milk, bread, and pizza they'll eat though.

Did I ever mention I love these boys?

5 comments:

Dede said...

thanks for the reminder of being a patient mom... something I have to work on daily. I too look forward to having my boys spoil me :) Boys are so fun!!

Anonymous said...

I love you Eri! At least you won't ever have three teenage girls in your house!

Cathie said...

I love it! I like your bright perspective of the future! They will be fun without a doubt and for sure you know it all about raising teenagers!

Tiff said...

SO SO TRUE! Luckily Cameron has been a challenge from the start, so my belief in my own competence was shattered long before it hurt too bad! :)

Ann said...

I love those boys, too. And you, you beautiful daughter of mine.