Saturday, July 4, 2009

3 years ago..

3 years ago yesterday I enjoyed a lovely lunch at Cafe Sabor when the all-you-can-eat chips and salsa started giving me contractions. So naturally I kept pigging out on them until lunch was over. A few hours later I had a contraction and felt really weird. 5 minutes later the same thing happened. Isaac and Dave were sleeping, so I drove myself to the hospital. I swore Dave to secrecy, and promised I would be to the BBQ on time. I talked to Carrie as I walked into the hospital and didn't tell her a thing. Why? I wasn't really sure why I was at the hospital. Contractions never meant anything in the past, so I didn't see why they would now. An hour later I was pronounced 5 cm and NOT LEAVING. It was very hard to believe that I was having this baby 4 weeks early.

So Isaac went to the fireworks with his grandparents, and I gave birth at 2 minutes to midnight with curled hair, full makeup, and not a bead of sweat on my brow. A flawless, pain-free delivery. I can't believe that was only 3 years ago. I've had 2 kids since then, that seems crazy (Oh yeah, it IS). It's funny, when I mentioned to people that it was 3 years ago that I went into labor, they seemed surprised. Even though we had spent the day celebrating his birthday. I guess the two events don't seem connected to people.

Dawson's third birthday was great. Brooke brought over the Banzai water slide which I regretfully didn't take any pictures of. But this is kind of what it looks like. It was SO fun for the kids, I think I'm going to have to buy one now.

Brooke also brought a pinata (Yeah, she is an extremely generous person, whom I adore!) So the kids got to hit a pinata and get the candy. The kids ate pizza and drank Koolaid, and the adults drank pina colada. (mmmm) The July birthday thing sure is fun. Hopefully all the fun birthdays make up for that ruined summer I had when I couldn't do anything with a brand new baby and a post-partum body. :)

We told Dawson that we would have a fireworks show for his birthday. So we went up to the University and watched a long fireworks show which actually put him to sleep. G. Jesse surprisingly loved it, and Henry (who seems to find joy in pretty much everything in life) had to turn around and say "Whoa!" after every firework to make sure that Dave was seeing the same thing that he was. I don't know if anyone enjoyed the fireworks more than Henry in the whole valley! I tried to video tape it, but it was too dark. I'm going to post pictures of it all later, my camera is in the car that Dave just took to get milk. :)

Lastly, G. Jesse had a well-child appt yesterday and they gave him flag band-aids for his shots. Very cute. He was 11 pounds, which put him in the 5%, and less than 5% for height. The doctor decided to adjust it a month because of his prematurity, which put him at the 25% for both. But just in case he told us to hit it hard with the solids and give at least one bottle a day. Tiny little munchkin. He looks kind of like a grasshopper to me, with long skinny legs and big, buggy eyes. Silly boy.

No comments: