Friday, January 3, 2014

10/1/13

On October 1st my Facebook status said this: "I love October! I've had two babies in October. And in May I really wasn't sure I would live to see October...... But here I am! Soon to be happy birthday to my boys Henry and Walker. Inching ever closer to meeting baby girl too. Wish I knew when it would happen."

That day I took Isaac to Brigham City to get his teeth pulled.  I dropped him off, and went to hang out with Brooke while I waited.  Jesse told me later that his nurses seemed to think I was due any day.  They weren't the only ones.  "When are you due?"  I would answer, "Tomorrow?"  I couldn't handle telling people when I was actually due because they looked like they wanted to barf at the thought of me growing for 8-10 more weeks.  "Are you sure there isn't twins in there?"  "Could your due date be off?"  And just the Saturday before Dave said, "There comes a point in your pregnancy, where maybe you don't leave the house anymore."  

These comments didn't hurt my feelings, because I knew it was true.  I WAS huge.  I just wanted to scream, "I KNOW.  I HAVE A MIRROR.  AND I'M THE ONE WALKING AROUND LIKE THIS, I'M QUITE AWARE."  

I declared right then and there that October 16th, 2013 would be the last day anyone would ever see me pregnant.  October 16th was the last football game for the boys, and I figured I could hibernate for the rest of my pregnancy after that.  

The next morning, I went to the bathroom at 3:45 am (not unusual) and laid back in bed.  A few minutes later I "woke up" (I wasn't really asleep) to a gush of fluid.  I jumped out of bed and shouted, "NO!"  I ran to the bathroom saying, "No, no, why, no, no." Over and over.  I sat on the toilet and more fluid came out.  I put my head in my hands.  Dave asked what was going on, and I told him my water broke.  He told me to stop lying.  You can imagine the frantic scene that followed as we decided what to do, and tried to get out of the house as quickly as possible.  We left the kids alone in order to get to the hospital quickly, and didn't bring a thing with us.  

This little girl is the only one of my babies to actually sleep when it's night time.  So naturally, I freaked out on the way there because she didn't move at all.  I put my legs in the air and prayed.  We got to the hospital and I made Dave wheel me up.  When he told the clerk that my water broke she smiled and started asking for information.  He told her I was only 31 weeks, and they took me right back in.  I wheeled past Aubrey, my L&D nurse from the past.  I cried harder when I saw her.  It was a tremendous blessing that she was there, she delivered preterm twins that were life flighted to McKay Dee.  I was able to get some insight from her on the process as we made the decision whether I should be transferred or not.  

McKay Dee was full, and I was going to be shipped to IMC.  2 hours away.  32 weeks is the earliest they will keep you at LRH.  I told my doctor I would do whatever was best for the baby, but I really believed myself to be 32 weeks.  Based on my OPKs, other signs of fertility, early pregnancy test, and every ultrasound, I believed I was 32 instead of 31 and 3.  My dr consulted with MFM and my pediatrician.  My pediatrician said he was comfortable taking care of the baby either way.  Based on the ultrasounds, my due date was changed, and I was able to stay.  This was such a wonderful blessing as I stayed in the hospital with nurses I knew, my family close by, and the ability to have many wonderful visitors throughout my stay.  

The decision was made to attempt to remain pregnant until 34 weeks, or October 16th.  Just the day before I declared no one would ever see me pregnant again after October 16th, but I did NOT mean I wanted to deliver then.  

The very day after the Facebook status I began this post with,  I posted this picture with the caption:
Good morning view. Not what I expected. Water broke overnight. This will be my view for awhile unless I get transferred. Waiting on the perinatologist to make the decision if I go down south to IMC or stay here. No belly shot this week. #32 weeks.



No comments: