Friday, October 28, 2011

Walker William Low

Baby Walker was born on Thursday, October 27th at 11:25 am. He weighed in at 5 lbs 4 oz and 18 inches long. He has a decent amount of dark hair (for a Low anyway), but I'm not holding my breath, guessing it will all fall out in a few weeks. He is sweet and adorable, looks just like a Low boy!

Although I was warned that he would stay in the hospital for 3-6 weeks, he is doing awesome. I was told that he absolutely wouldn't stay with me after birth, but he stayed for an hour and I was able to feed him. His next two feeds he didn't even suck once. But then he ate well all night, so we are on our way! His glucose is what initially took him to the NICU, but he has kept that high enough on his own today. He hasn't required any breathing assistance, looks like those steroids did the trick! He is showing some indication that he may have an infection, so he is being treated for that with antibiotics. If his culture comes back negative, he will likely be able to go home on Sunday or Monday.

He takes after his brothers with jaundice....well actually he is showing them up. He was put on the billilights shortly after he was 24 hours old. That's quite unusual, so I'm sure we'll be fighting the jaundice fight for awhile. But they probably won't keep him in the NICU for that.

The very experienced NICU nurse says she has never seen a 34 week baby eat that well. He has made everyone very impressed.

He has hardly cried at all. A little bit of squeeking, but very little crying so far.....don't think I'm naive enough to think that will last though!

I actually love having him in the NICU. It takes up a lot of time because I have to go down to the NICU for about an hour to feed and spend time with him, then I come back upstairs to pump. Add a bathroom trip and a meal in there and it's almost time to go back down. But I LOVE the NICU staff, and how well they take care of everything. Everything is monitored, every diaper weighed, we know exactly where he's at all the time on everything, so there is no need to worry. They are always taking good care of me too, they bring me drinks, offer me the boppy, hand me clean blankets and burp cloths. His binky hit the floor and they just threw it out and got him a new one. They even decorated his room with Halloween signs with his name on them. I need to get a picture of that.

I feel fantastic. I haven't even had Tylenol, not any drugs at all. I slept on my tummy last night, it felt so good! My nurse said she has worked here for a few years and she has never seen a mom come walking up from L&D herself before. I felt instantly better, and without an epidural, I could walk perfectly. I am so happy to have my baby here, and I love how that changes the dynamics of a family. These early days of having a baby are so magical, I wish I could slow time down and enjoy them longer!

This hospital is incredible. The nurses have all been perfect! My doctors are tremendous, you couldn't ask for anything more. The facility is nice, and the food is done like room service and I keep getting the most incredible meals!

I dare say this has all worked out wonderfully, although it wasn't anyone's first choice, it has been great! I feel very blessed.

More posts and pictures to come!

No comments: