Friday, April 30, 2010

Raw

I just woke up and my heart is raw. I've never felt this way before. I struggle to know what to write.

Yesterday, the world lost a good man. My father passed away suddenly, and as far as we can tell, very quickly yesterday. Just two days after his 66th birthday. Much younger than we would have ever expected considering his parents lived to be quite old and he was in remarkably good health for his age. His mother died less than 3 years ago. And he recently had a check up and everything was great.

My Dad is a good man. A really good man. He helped so many people, in so many ways. He juggled his life and everyone else's too. Ouch. It just hurts too much.

We are all in shock. Yesterday we tried to avoid the topic as much as possible. But when you wake up in the middle of the night there is no avoiding it. Facing the truth is too painful. My family is surrounded by wonderful people. They have the best friends in the world. They are well taken care of.

I love my dad. I don't think very many daughters are as close with their dad as the Biada girls are. I never realized how much I relied on him until now. He is a wise man and has helped me with so many decisions in my life. I will miss him for a time. But I am immeasurably grateful for a knowledge of the plan of salvation and resurrection. If I didn't know that I would see my dad again, and my wonderful sisters, what on Earth would I do?

My mother is strong. She is already working hard to make plans and get everything in order. She is already stepping up. She is amazing. She will grieve, but she will prevail, and we will all watch in awe at the things she does. I know that is true. I have watched it happen so many times, and this woman can do it. And I guess that's why the Lord allowed it to happen, because he knew she could do it. Apparently for a strong spirit like hers, the tests involved in exaltation are great. The Lord has great plans for her, I know he does. We are all so lucky to have her as our Mom, and it breaks my heart that she has to go through pain. I think maybe that is what makes my heart the most RAW.

11 comments:

Mindy said...

Erica, there are no words that can dull the pain. But I know His healing power can, so I will pray for that ... for you and your family. If I can help you out with anything, I am in Logan and can be there in a second ... If you need someone to watch the kids while you are helping your mom with anything, I can come over in a jiffy. Lots of love to you and your family!!

Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrea said...

Oh dear! I am sorry you have to deal with a loss like this. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Bettridge Family said...

I'm so sorry Erica! Death is such a hard thing. But you are right we are lucky we know that we will see our loved ones again. It's like President Monson said in Conference. Death will take all of us we can't get out of it. But with Christ we will live again. I am so sorry for your family!! Sometimes when it rains it doesn't stop. We will be praying for you guys. The next few weeks are so hard!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Erica! I am soooo sorry for your loss. It looks as though Heavenly father needs your family in heaven. I love you and hope you find peace this week.

Jocee Bergeson said...

Er-I'm still shocked. It makes no sense. Maybe Amber's right -- many of your family members must simply be needed in heaven. He was a wonderful man and like you said, you'll be together again. I hope you all can make it through these next few days and weeks. We are thinking of you!!

Roxie said...

erica im so sorry ..you and your family have already been through so much, I will be thinking and praying for you..love ya.
rox

Trisha said...

Again, I don't even know what to say. Just that I love you. All of you.

Tiff said...

Oh Erica! I am so so sorry! You are such a strong family. I can attest to that, as I have watched you handle so much loss with such faith. You are such an example to me and you will be in my thoughts and prayers! Love you girl!

JCooper said...

Erica - We just heard the news tonight. I'm so, so sorry. Word has spread among your friends out here in NJ and you're in our prayers. Your poor family has been through so much these past few years. Wish we were closer to help. Give your mom hugs from us all - especially the Pettitt family.

Unknown said...

Erica- I am so sorry... life is so not fair sometimes. My prayers are with your sweet family and mom.