Friday, June 12, 2009

Centerpieces



I couldn't help it. As soon as those gorgeous Peonies opened up, I went out there and cut them. I love fresh flowers on my table, but never pay for them. I can't quite believe how huge that big pink one is. It's probably 5 inches in diameter. I put these Peonies in a vase that came with Peonies in it from Natalie's wedding. Her centerpieces looked pretty similar to this, so I'm pretty proud of myself. I've got a pretty good lineup of fresh flowers to cut and keep on my table this year. After the Peonies comes the pink roses (Kind of like a desert rose?). Shortly after that will come the Shasta daisies, then probably some different roses. I'm hoping to have the Dahlias not too long after that, and I have some red Crocosmias that are absolutely incredible that I'm hoping will produce enough that I can cut some and leave some. And towards the end of the season I will have the Hydrangeas. If anyone has any advice on some other flowers that would make good table centerpieces, let me know. I'll probably rush right out and buy them. Oh yeah, and next summer I should have some Flowering Almond and Forsythia to cut in the spring. Hopefully they are big enough by then. And I've got some Lilies that will be good next summer as well.

Aunt Mame asked about my garden. I'm not thrilled with my garden this year. I got off to a late start, never made it out to get my heirloom tomatoes, a hail storm damaged most of my plants, and I decided that next year I am building raised beds. So I kind of fell out of love with my garden for this year. Hopefully next year will go better. But it definitely isn't a blog-worthy garden. :(

1 comment:

Emily + Eric said...

That hail storm just about demolished all hopes of me being domestic this year! I planted 21 tomato plants- I hope they recover.
Also, my Gerber Daisies had just exploded in all of their wonderful pinkness & ppttthhh - down the tube with the stinkin' hail storm. Rats.